[SOLVED] WiFi Mesh Extenders + Existing Powerline Adapter?

Bambam47

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015
I have Xfinity as my internet and TV provider and we have a pretty beefy plan for the internet but with both my parents streaming all the time and me and my friends downstairs are all downloading and playing online games, I thought to buy Xfinity's new xFi pod wifi mesh range extenders for the and up and downstairs but the problem is there's an existing Netgear 1000 powerline adapter running from the far side upstairs to the mid-level on the other side to connect my mom's office phone to the internet. So in short i'm figuring out if these two devices will conflict and become unstable or not work entirely.

Thank you.

Solution
For games you are going to be much better off buying another powerline unit for down stairs.

The powerline units appear to the network to be a ethernet cable. So wifi will not interfere. This is one of the key advantages of powerline over any form of wifi. The are not subject to interference from outside your house so you get very consistent latency. The consistent latency is what games need most not so much bandwidth.

Mesh is mostly a marketing scam for home users. This technology is just a slightly better wifi repeater with a different name on the box. It still suffers from the main issue of any wifi repeater. You now have 2 rather than 1 signal that can be interfered with. It also adds latency for the extra...
For games you are going to be much better off buying another powerline unit for down stairs.

The powerline units appear to the network to be a ethernet cable. So wifi will not interfere. This is one of the key advantages of powerline over any form of wifi. The are not subject to interference from outside your house so you get very consistent latency. The consistent latency is what games need most not so much bandwidth.

Mesh is mostly a marketing scam for home users. This technology is just a slightly better wifi repeater with a different name on the box. It still suffers from the main issue of any wifi repeater. You now have 2 rather than 1 signal that can be interfered with. It also adds latency for the extra hop.

If this technology was great business who have lots of money would have it installed. Almost all business still uses the ethernet connected AP model. They only sell the mesh garbage to home users because it is designed for people who need to watch youtube video to use a toaster.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS