Question WIFI MESH Networking a STONE 200-year-old 3-story home.

Kzoom

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2014
My friends live on a distant northern European coast. Their inet sucks. 26M down, 1M up, on an ADSL(?!) line, not coax, not fiber.
Not the problem, it's a steady connection.

Problem is the 80cm external stone walls, and the 60+cm internal ones. I can jog past the quarry they were pulled from, a couple klicks up the road. So thick in order to hold up three stories of 12'- to 15'-high ceilings.

Wifi barely travels through the walls.

Back in 2017, I set up extenders from a prior carrier's wifi router (ground floor, back center, under the stairs,) using four Netgear N300s. Barely hauled to the 3rd floor. Every time I return, renovations on the house have started by unplugging all these extenders, and it was never really a good solution.

Now I'm here again, there's a new carrier and better speed and reliability. My friend has discovered Netgear PLP1000 powerline equipment, connected to the carrier's router, paired at the other end to a powerline drop in his office, with an RJ45 port, which he connects to with a cable for Zoom calls (26Mbps, remember?)
It came with a separate access point that plugs into the pass-through AC plug, so when he doesn't need the whole pipe to himself, he plugs the cable into the access point and has wifi for two rooms, one above the other. Wifi goes up/down through wood floors better than sideways through the stone walls.
So now he has this set up on two sides of the house, and with the wifi from the router, he has THREE network names, THREE strengths of network in many rooms, and it's a pain, and doesn't cover the rest of the house (probably 20 rooms total.)
I use Netgear powerline at my tiny house back in the US, to avoid dragging a cable under the floor, so I'm comfortable with the usual one point - to - one point set-up. But this is a whole different problem.
QUESTION: Would the following work, and if so, using what equipment (If possible, please specify brand/models)?
>Put a 1G powerline base unit wired to one of the RJ45 ports on the carrier's supplied router.
>Put powerline outlets throughout the house, six or seven. This many is why the Gigabit base at the router. Need to handle traffic IN the house. The narrow ADSL pipeline to the outside is enough of a worry.
>A MESH Wifi access point connected to each powerline outlet by RJ45. These access points DO NOT connect backwards by wifi on the network configuration. These would connect back to the router through the hard-wired powerline network. These only provide the final wifi connections to various user devices (phones, PCs, etc.)
NOTE: I would like these access points to MESH, so that, no matter where you are, there is only ONE network name your devices need to look for.
(Yes, there will be a second name, the carrier's wifi network name, but if the MESH can be set up, the carrier's can be "hidden" from most users.)

Just trying to get the current system working (again!) has been a vacation drag, but it's the one thing I can do to contribute. Any help on this attempt at a permanent, thorough solution would be appreciated.

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
My friends live on a distant northern European coast. Their inet sucks. 26M down, 1M up, on an ADSL(?!) line, not coax, not fiber.
Not the problem, it's a steady connection.

Problem is the 80cm external stone walls, and the 60+cm internal ones. I can jog past the quarry they were pulled from, a couple klicks up the road. So thick in order to hold up three stories of 12'- to 15'-high ceilings.

Wifi barely travels through the walls.

Back in 2017, I set up extenders from a prior carrier's wifi router (ground floor, back center, under the stairs,) using four Netgear N300s. Barely hauled to the 3rd floor. Every time I return, renovations on the house have started by unplugging all these extenders, and it was never really a good solution.

Now I'm here again, there's a new carrier and better speed and reliability. My friend has discovered Netgear PLP1000 powerline equipment, connected to the carrier's router, paired at the other end to a powerline drop in his office, with an RJ45 port, which he connects to with a cable for Zoom calls (26Mbps, remember?)
It came with a separate access point that plugs into the pass-through AC plug, so when he doesn't need the whole pipe to himself, he plugs the cable into the access point and has wifi for two rooms, one above the other. Wifi goes up/down through wood floors better than sideways through the stone walls.
So now he has this set up on two sides of the house, and with the wifi from the router, he has THREE network names, THREE strengths of network in many rooms, and it's a pain, and doesn't cover the rest of the house (probably 20 rooms total.)
I use Netgear powerline at my tiny house back in the US, to avoid dragging a cable under the floor, so I'm comfortable with the usual one point - to - one point set-up. But this is a whole different problem.
QUESTION: Would the following work, and if so, using what equipment (If possible, please specify brand/models)?
>Put a 1G powerline base unit wired to one of the RJ45 ports on the carrier's supplied router.
>Put powerline outlets throughout the house, six or seven. This many is why the Gigabit base at the router. Need to handle traffic IN the house. The narrow ADSL pipeline to the outside is enough of a worry.
>A MESH Wifi access point connected to each powerline outlet by RJ45. These access points DO NOT connect backwards by wifi on the network configuration. These would connect back to the router through the hard-wired powerline network. These only provide the final wifi connections to various user devices (phones, PCs, etc.)
NOTE: I would like these access points to MESH, so that, no matter where you are, there is only ONE network name your devices need to look for.
(Yes, there will be a second name, the carrier's wifi network name, but if the MESH can be set up, the carrier's can be "hidden" from most users.)

Just trying to get the current system working (again!) has been a vacation drag, but it's the one thing I can do to contribute. Any help on this attempt at a permanent, thorough solution would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mesh is not required for a single SSID. WIFI names are a configuration choice, not an exclusive feature of mesh.
You said that renovations have been done, seems like network cabling should have been one.
Many powerline adapters might work or might not. There is no definite way to predict.

TRENDING THREADS