[SOLVED] Wifi Mesh

Rya6822

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
So I have Xfinity wifi and I am using the xFi pods with to create a mesh to my room. There is one pod between the router and the pod in my room. I use an ethernet cable that connects to my pc. My internet is rated for around 130mbps and in my room, I obtain around 7-15 and frequently lose connection randomly. I was wondering if there was a fix to make it faster/ not dropping connection randomly. I heard that google wifi was a better alternative. Any thoughts on if I should get google wifi or purchase more xFi pods?

Last edited:
Solution
If you are going to spend more money I would look at powerline av2-1200 units. Since you are already using ethernet just move the cable to the powerline you put in your room.

Wifi is extremely dependent on the house and the wifi signals from other houses. It can be the wall blocking it or lots of interference from neighbors....everyone is putting these silly mesh units.

Mesh is just a newer version of the repeaters they have sold for years. They still suffer from the same major problem. The repeater must be able to get a good signal from the main router and then send a good signal to the remote room. Placement is critical and in some houses there is no good place if for example a wall blocks the signal. You can either be...
If you are going to spend more money I would look at powerline av2-1200 units. Since you are already using ethernet just move the cable to the powerline you put in your room.

Wifi is extremely dependent on the house and the wifi signals from other houses. It can be the wall blocking it or lots of interference from neighbors....everyone is putting these silly mesh units.

Mesh is just a newer version of the repeaters they have sold for years. They still suffer from the same major problem. The repeater must be able to get a good signal from the main router and then send a good signal to the remote room. Placement is critical and in some houses there is no good place if for example a wall blocks the signal. You can either be on the strong side of the signal and still not be able to send the signal though the wall to the remote room or you can be on the weak side of the signal where you can send to the far room but the siganal is already degraded the repeater is getting.

In addition all these extra radio signals interfere with each other as well as increase the number of signals that can be interfered with from outside your house.

A different brand of mesh system likely will not work significantly different. The radio frequencies they run on the allowed power output is all regulated by the government there is not large difference between brands.

Solution