Wifi Network Disappearing from Devices

FriboRage

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Im having a fairly persistent issue that I havnt been able to find help for.

I've got an Arris SBG6700-AC. It runs a 2.4Ghz network and a 5Ghz network.

I have both networks running, both are password protected, and both are broadcasting their network ID. The names are essentially XXX1 and XXX2. XXX1 is the 2.4Ghz, and XXX2 is the 5Ghz.

So, basically the 5Ghz network is reserved for our TV devices, a Roku TV, a separate Roku device upstairs, and an Apple TV device in another room. Everything else operates on the 2.4Ghz network... our phones (iPhone X and iPhone 8), our desktop computers (One Windows 10 and the other a Mac), and a laptop computer (Windows 10).

With all that introduction out of the way, here's the core of the issue... the 2.4Ghz network (xxx1) just vanishes, while the 5Ghz network (xxx2) is solid. I dont think xxx2 has ever disappeared.

By disappear, I mean that I'll be using my phone (iPhone X) and suddenly realize Im on cell data. I'll check in Settings > WiFi and see the xxx1 is not there anymore, but xxx2 still is. Most of the time, it seems like this occurs on all devices at once. Sometimes it will not happen for weeks or a solid month, sometimes it'll happen several times a DAY. This happens to the iPhone 8, both desktops, and the laptop, so it's not isolated to a device.

My solution has been switching onto 5Ghz (xxx2), logging into my router settings through whatever browser Im closest to, and going into Primary Network Settings. Then under the 2.4Ghz tab I switch to Disabled, then back to Enabled. Boom, just like that 2.4Ghz (xxx1) is back in my list and I can connect to it.

Then, like I said, sometimes the problem reoccurs within an hour, or will not resurface for weeks or months. It's super frustrating, I've tried cutting power to the router for 10 minutes, I've tried resetting it to factory and starting over... the problem still reoccurs.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
Your WiFi runs on two wave bands, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz is a popular wave band, and is used by many other devices like garage door openers and baby monitors. There may be other devices in your house or nearby that are interfering with the 2.4Ghz wave band, causing disruption with that WiFi.

There's nothing else that I can think of that would disrupt your 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Hope this helped!
-Lachlan :)

FriboRage

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I realize this is a fairly old thread now, but I wanted to update it as I seem to have found a solution and it seems like this isnt a super common topic, so it might help someone else.

I read a lot about how 2-in-1 modem/router units seem to have a higher defect rate than individual units. The problem got bad enough that I finally went out and bought a dedicated router just to try, so the modem can be a modem and the router can be a router.

The problem seems to have disappeared. Im running the new router since about October, and I havnt seen it reoccur.

My theory is that the radio component that handles the 2.4ghz broadcast was defective in the 2-in-1 unit, while the 5ghz radio was fine, which is why one was rock solid and the other was flaky.

TRENDING THREADS