Wifi Network Restricted

May 24, 2018
Hi,

I have problem with my internet connection. I move between 3 homes and I always travel with my laptop. The wifi in all 3 locations works perfectly fine. Normally I don't travel with my fixed pc but lately I've been using that to work instead however at one of my homes it has an issue connection to the internet. It works perfectly fine at the other two locations but at this third location I does not work, note that my laptop (and phone) both work fine it is only my fixed pc that does not work there.

So to explain what happens, I try and connect to the wifi and when trying to connect it takes 'very' long. Eventually it connects but it tells me that my access is restricted (I checked inside the router 192.168.1.1 and nothing is restricted at all). When trying to open a webpage it freezes my browser for a minute and then it start loading the page. After maybe 5 minutes it will have loaded maybe the text, maybe a few small images. It seems the connection is being throttled (if that is the correct word for it).

I have tried many things, one was to start in safety modus with internet access. It was not any better. Then I tried to run lots of antivirus and cleanup programs but they found nothing and it still doesn't work. I tried reinstalling the drivers (maybe I didn't do that correctly). I tried checking all the adapter options to see if dns and such were obtained automatically. Again nothing of this worked and now I am stuck. I would do a factory reset or some other desperate thing however, the big mind blowing thing is that the computer works totally fine at the other 2 homes. So because it works at the other 2 homes I am thinking it's more a problem with the wifi at the 'broken home'. Then again, my laptop and phone can connect totally fine and work without any issues.

As for specs and all those things I doubt any of that matters because again the computer works totally fine at the other 2 homes. But if anyone has some ideas of what it could be ask me anything, at this point any help is appreciated. I'll try messing around with it for two more weeks but then I am going to get an external hard drive so I can store all my files on there and do a factory reset and see what happens.

PS: Everything I know I taught myself so if you start using too many technical terms it's likely I will not understand, sorry.

Solution
Yup, your problem is the wireless connection to your router, those pings should be maybe a low two digit number at worst -- really should be close to 1ms.

All of those 80 something dB signals are too weak to use and note that all are on channels 1 and 6.

Change the main router, which ever device that is to channel 11 and run it again. If you still are close and getting such a poor signal. Right next to the router you should get in the -50 to -70 dB range.

If you are close enough and the channel change doesn't help, try an Ethernet cable or a pair of AV2-1000/1200 powerline adapters to get the signal to where you need it.

First

RealBeast

Titan
I would try going into the network control panel, manage wireless networks and delete the problem network then restart and reconnect with passkey. If that fails you may have success by changing the software MAC address of the wireless adapter using THIS free tool.

May 24, 2018

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't home to test this.
So I tried reconnection again and again, using the "Forget this network" etc..
I tried to change the MAC adress with the software but nothing changes.
It is super slow and, for example, when I try and go to Youtube it will only load grey squares for the images after a few minutes.
I can go into the modem but again this takes a little to load whereas it should be instant.

I really cannot think of anything else that is left. I can't find anything about "Restricted internet acess" either, it just doesn't make sense (all I find is school resitricted access posts.. nothing about my home wifi doing it).

Any other ideas that might work, I'll try anything except factory reset for now.

EDIT:
Could it possibly be that my network card is not good enough and it is too far away in this second home? Sadly I cannot test it with a cable and I cannot get any closer but it's a maximum of 10-15m.. and my laptop + phone both work fine which shouldn't have much better network cards.

RealBeast

Titan
No problem. What is the model of the laptop and which OS are you running?

Since it connects at two of the three locations, it is either the wireless at the bad location or interference there.

I would download and run either a free cell phone wifi analyzer or the free version of inSSIDer or perhaps both in order to see what frequencies and channels are in use around you with the cell app and what the laptop sees with inSSIDer.

May 24, 2018

Hi,

I am very certain now that it is a problem with the signal.
I am around 10m away from the box, 2 thin walls in between (so thin you could walk through them if wanted).
My laptop is basically next to the computer that is having the issues. My laptop likely has a better network card, same for my phone I guess since they both work fine.
I check from my phone with the app and we have 1 printer and a company "entomo farm" or something but I doubt those connections are the issue, maybe they are but I am not sure what to look at with those apps.

I moved my computer like 1m closer and higher up and now the signal connects and I can load things but it's SUPER slow. As in, it takes me 1 minute to connect to the router at 192.168.1.1 and any webpage takes a few minutes to load.
Here is a ipconfig/all screenshot and a ping to my router and just look at those high numbers! If I ping from my laptop I get 17ms, here it's over 1000 and it's closer !
https://prnt.sc/jq7vho
The ipconfig/all has the name of my network card if that is of any help but I know I won't be buying another one just for this.

If you can confirm that it is my network card that is old or just bad that would be great. If you can also confirm that there is nothing I can do, no drivers to update or programs to make it connect better then I'll just stop trying to make it work and pack up the computer.

RealBeast

Titan
Yup, your problem is the wireless connection to your router, those pings should be maybe a low two digit number at worst -- really should be close to 1ms.

All of those 80 something dB signals are too weak to use and note that all are on channels 1 and 6.

Change the main router, which ever device that is to channel 11 and run it again. If you still are close and getting such a poor signal. Right next to the router you should get in the -50 to -70 dB range.

If you are close enough and the channel change doesn't help, try an Ethernet cable or a pair of AV2-1000/1200 powerline adapters to get the signal to where you need it.

First

Solution
May 24, 2018
Thanks so much for all the help.
I finally determined that it was the signal with all the help and now I litteraly moved the table the PC is on 1 meter toward the corner of the wall and everything works like a charm!
It litteraly was 1 meter of distance that was messing it all up.
I did also change the channel like you said but in the end it was just that 1 meter that it needed.
Thank you so much for the help, at first I really thought it was a virus and not something this simple. I am amazed how simple some solutions can be :)