Question WiFi Network shows up on computers but not phones

emh

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013
Okay, so this is a very strange issue.

My home wifi works fine for my laptop and for my wife's. But it doesn't show up as an option for our cell phones. Even if we're standing right next to the modem, we get nothing. Our neighbors' wi-fi networks show up as options on our phones, but our own network doesn't.

Any idea what might be going on? I've tried restating our phones and the modem but nothing.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Okay, so this is a very strange issue.

My home wifi works fine for my laptop and for my wife's. But it doesn't show up as an option for our cell phones. Even if we're standing right next to the modem, we get nothing. Our neighbors' wi-fi networks show up as options on our phones, but our own network doesn't.

Any idea what might be going on? I've tried restating our phones and the modem but nothing.

Thanks!
Your SSID (WIFI name) might have characters the phones don't like.
Your WIFI could be using obsolete security that the phones don't like.
Your WIFI could be using a channel number the phones don't like.
There are many possibilities.
What router do you have?

emh

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013
Honestly, don't know the type of router. We live outside the US so the router was given to us by the internet company. I'm sure it's a cheap model.

How could I test the things that you mentioned?

kanewolf

Titan
Honestly, don't know the type of router. We live outside the US so the router was given to us by the internet company. I'm sure it's a cheap model.

How could I test the things that you mentioned?
There should be some labeling on the router.
How to test. You will have to make changes on the router. Do you know the password ?
SSID name --- Change it to basic characters. No spaces, no special characters, etc. Plain Jane. If it doesn't show up then move on to the next possible reason.
Security -- Change to WPA2 AES. That is the most secure today.
Channel number -- Set 2.4Ghs to 1, 6, 11. Set 5Ghz to a channel less than 50.