Feb 12, 2020
Hello fellow techs,

I must start from the beginning for you to understand and my specs are at the bottom after you read my issue.

I recently I moved to a new place to rent and there are no network jacks, so I had to get a wifi adapter for my Desktop. When I first installed the adapter, it worked right away. Then I download Starwars battlefront 2 but i had to cancel the installation(Doesn't matter why I cancelled it). From cancelling the install it broke my internet connection, I reinstalled origin and I got internet back. Later the next few days the internet on my PC stopped working again; I turned off the firewall and it worked. I re-enabled the recommended settings for the firewall and it still worked. After a couple of weeks the internet access stopped working again!!

I tried the turning off the firewall, I used the windows troubleshooter and it said my connection to the modem/router is broken. Retried the troubleshooter and it said everything is broken for network connections yet I am still connected local(Doesn't make any sense why it would say that), I updated the drivers(adapter came with no drivers out of the box), I did the network commands in cmd, I uninstalled the device from device manager, I did sfc /scannow and I also did a network reset. Sometimes when I reboot it will connect to YouTube, gets super slow and loses connection.

I'm thinking about resetting the modem/router and if that doesn't work then I'll refresh windows. The PC worked fine on a physical connection but I must've made some software change or whatever that is causing problems with PCI adapter. I am confident that this is a software issue and not a hardware issue since it worked right away after connecting it to the motherboard. I think I made some software change that broke it. I pretty have almost tried everything I can think of but If you know what would be cause intermittent and full loss of internet access please advise.

Wireless local area network connection is perfectly fine I just have no internet access.

P.S. Every other device connects to the internet perfectly, so it cannot be an ISP issue

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 3400G
Ram: Corsair 16GB, can't remember the brand at the moment
OS drive: WD Blue M.2 500GB
2nd drive: Seagate 2TB HDD 256mb cache
GPU: Nvidia 1660 super
PSU: 600W
PCI: MSI AC905C Wireless Dual Band PCI-E 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2

Solution
Not a BIOS setting. We can leave that alone for my sake as well as yours.... :)

Go into Network & Internet Sharing

Select Change adapter options. You should see both network adapters listed. Disable the wired adapter.

Or:

You should also be able to get to the applicable Window by typing "View Network Connections" in the "Type here to search" box. Usually located in the lower left screen corner.

A red "X" will appear on a disabled device. You can right click on a device to switch its' configuration from enabled to disabled or vice versa. You will need the applicable admin permissions.

At least take a look and if unsure - do nothing. Just post the listed devices and their status.

Ralston18

Titan
Also:

Are you sure that only the wireless adapter is enabled on your desktop?

Check in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings related to the network connectivity.

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what has been happening. Who has full admin rights to the network router? You will need help from that person.

Feb 12, 2020
Also:

Are you sure that only the wireless adapter is enabled on your desktop?

Check in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings related to the network connectivity.

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what has been happening. Who has full admin rights to the network router? You will need help from that person.

What do you mean by "Are you sure that only the wireless adapter is enabled on your desktop?". I haven't touched the BIOS so I'm a bit confused as what to do.

Ralston18

Titan

Select Change adapter options. You should see both network adapters listed. Disable the wired adapter.

Or:

You should also be able to get to the applicable Window by typing "View Network Connections" in the "Type here to search" box. Usually located in the lower left screen corner.

A red "X" will appear on a disabled device. You can right click on a device to switch its' configuration from enabled to disabled or vice versa. You will need the applicable admin permissions.

At least take a look and if unsure - do nothing. Just post the listed devices and their status.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020

Or:

As I previously mentioned that I tried everything else, well.... I restarted the modem and now my PC has internet access so I'm hoping that it will stay connected. Fingers crossed