Wifi not showing up on network connections

May 24, 2018
My computer is starting to act strange. Its a HP laptop. I bought it new about a year or so ago. When I go to network connections the normal part that says WIFI next to the Ethernet isn't showing up.

Also when I move the mouse, not a connected one just the one on the actual laptop. It moved slow and isn't preforming as usual.

I already preformed a restore and a reset on the computer. Problem still not solved.

I though I had just fixed it for a moment when I clicked on the network connections, it appeared again and connected, the mouse problem whent away as well and then after a minute it when't back and disappeared and the mouse started moving slow again!

I just can't figure it out.

Solution
A failing WiFi module isn't a given, but it's been known to happen. Sometimes it's just the controller. Other times, it can pick up the signal, but can't transmit, or if it can, only at close range to the source of the WiFi signal.

Depending on the make/model of laptop, sometimes you can get a replacement part for about 30 bucks or so. And, the installation could be real easy, to the most difficult thing in your life if it requires a complete teardown of the laptop to get to it.

Easiest thing would be to get a USB WiFi adapter, but the problem with those is you always have it sticking out of your laptop taking up a USB port. But, it can get the job done.

What's the exact model of your laptop by the way?

stdragon

Admirable
Could be the WiFi module is failing, and causing an "IRQ storm"; this could slog the CPU down to the point it's very slow in responding to user input such as with a keyboard or mouse.

Just to rule out any intermittent connectivity physical contact issues, does your laptop have a physical sliding switch that enables and disables the WiFi? Some laptops have this. Verify its setting and try again.

May 24, 2018
Yes it does and I have tried pressing it, the light it white and turns another color when in airplane mode. Its solid on white now.

It could be the wifi module. How would I check for that? or would I need to take it to a place to get it fixed. Is there something that would cause this or it just happens over time?

stdragon

Admirable
A failing WiFi module isn't a given, but it's been known to happen. Sometimes it's just the controller. Other times, it can pick up the signal, but can't transmit, or if it can, only at close range to the source of the WiFi signal.

Depending on the make/model of laptop, sometimes you can get a replacement part for about 30 bucks or so. And, the installation could be real easy, to the most difficult thing in your life if it requires a complete teardown of the laptop to get to it.

Easiest thing would be to get a USB WiFi adapter, but the problem with those is you always have it sticking out of your laptop taking up a USB port. But, it can get the job done.

What's the exact model of your laptop by the way?

Solution
May 24, 2018
I will look into getting a wifi adapter. Would that stop the slowness of it though? I see on the bottom of the computer a Wifi sign and a panel with two screws. I don't know if that's the access point.

Its a HP 15 Notebook PC