Info Wifi not working after CPU/RAM/video card upgrade

Aug 17, 2022
This is info that may be helpful to others.

I recently upgraded my RAM, CPU and Videocard. Upon doing so my Wifi could not detect my home network.

I went through the gamut of fixes: disable/enable wireless adapter card, update drivers, uninstall, reboot, troubleshoot....and nothing would work. I saw a potential fix in reinstalling windows, and got desperate so I did reinstall. Nothing.

As a last resort I opened my PC again to see what may be wrong and realized two small black wires were floating around. I thought maybe I had accidentally disconnected these from my WLAN card; they are very flimsy and upon looking up what they were, realized they are the two antenas connecting to the WLAN card: which explained the lack of WIFI signal detection. So I removed the video card to have better access to the WLAN card.

They are extremely difficult to snap back on when disconnected, I had to use a wood pencil on the eraser side while aligning the snap buttons with the antenae connectors and then press them back in.

Hope this helps a few people out there. I know I wish I had seen this piece of info before reinstalling windows.....

Fore more details on the visuals : https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ped-under-Pavilion-550-159nb-PSU/td-p/6945975

This is info that may be helpful to others.

I recently upgraded my RAM, CPU and Videocard. Upon doing so my Wifi could not detect my home network.

I went through the gamut of fixes: disable/enable wireless adapter card, update drivers, uninstall, reboot, troubleshoot....and nothing would work. I saw a potential fix in reinstalling windows, and got desperate so I did reinstall. Nothing.

As a last resort I opened my PC again to see what may be wrong and realized two small black wires were floating around. I thought maybe I had accidentally disconnected these from my WLAN card; they are very flimsy and upon looking up what they were, realized they are the two antenas connecting to the WLAN card: which explained the lack of WIFI signal detection. So I removed the video card to have better access to the WLAN card.

They are extremely difficult to snap back on when disconnected, I had to use a wood pencil on the eraser side while aligning the snap buttons with the antenae connectors and then press them back in.

Hope this helps a few people out there. I know I wish I had seen this piece of info before reinstalling windows.....

Fore more details on the visuals : https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ped-under-Pavilion-550-159nb-PSU/td-p/6945975
Surprise, surprise, radio signal weak without antenna while radio is in a Faraday cage.