Wifi on a Motherboard?

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
The motherboard I'm looking to buy is the MSI Z97- Gaming 5 ATX. I don't know exactly if this motherboard has wifi with it or if I would have to buy additional addons for wireless wifi. Any help would be much appreciative.

Solution
No, that motherboard doesn't come with built-in WIFI, you'll need to either get an external USB dongle or internal PCIe adapter card.
Or you can get a WIFI range extender like the Netgear EX2700. It connects wirelessly to your router and has an ethernet port that you can connect to your computer with a Cat5 cable. Cost around $30. Benefit of going that route is that in addition to connecting the computer you have is it extends the WIFI coverage within your house, if you have other devices needing wifi.

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Which route do you prefer? And if I do go the PCIe adapter card route, how do I find the correct one?

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Sounds like a cool idea. However, I'm just looking to get be able to connect to my router from my pc.

Well, what I suggested does just that. I would probably not go with a usb wireless adapter, they are generally not as good as a PCIe adapter card (signal strength). The PCIe card will most likely have one or more antennas. A lot will depend on the distance from your computer to the router, how thick the walls are, other conflicting wifi devices in your neighborhood, etc. A wired connection is going to give you the fastest speeds, but if you can't go that route, go with a PCIe adapter card.

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Okay, but how do you find the right PCIe adapter card for yourself?

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Looks awesome... so it's compatible? If so, thank you very much for the help!

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Awesome! Thank you very much. This is a great community. So any wifi adapter will work with the motherboard or am I just limited to specific ones?

TRENDING THREADS