cckkll

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Wifi on Windows 10 upgrade fine, but fails in a clean install of Windows 10
Region : US
Model : TL-WN822N
Hardware Version : V3
ISP : Homenet

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my old disk from 7 and all was fine; there is no issue with wifi at all and my device is recognised and uses the latest software.
Then I did a clean install on a new SSD. All the hardware is the same. Only the disk is new.
Here my TL-WN822Nwon' work at all.. ... it doesn't blink blink at all, but does beep when plugged and unplugged.
Windows 10 is using a generic driver for wifi. I tried several ways of updating the TP source driver, but Winodws 10 fails to recognise it as belonging to the WLAN device in Device Manager that it can't identify. When I try this, this clean Windows 10 does not recognize the drivers. I select the folder where the drivers are and the clean install does not pick them up. I followed the advice on http://www.tp-link.us/download/TL-WN822N.html So I clicked the USB-WLAN, choose Driver and Update-Driver, choose Manual Installation, then Network adapters, then have disc, etc
- I tried dis-installing the default Windows 10 wifi driver using the system menus (with reboot).
- I ran windowsupdate to see if it can find a new driver.
- I’ve disabled and enabled the default Windows driver till I am blue in the face. At no stage did it show anything else installed
- I've reinstalled Windows 10
- I did earlier run the TP utility; it does not recognize that my TP is plugged in at all; I can select no menus at all. Yet the green light on the adapter never at any stage blinked. However it does beep when plugged into the USB.

If I boot instead from my Windows 10 installation which was upgraded, everything is perfect, using of course the same hardware and the same drivers.

I conclude that I have the correct driver and no hardware problem. But there is something in this clean install of Windows 10 that is preventing me from installing the right driver. The problem then is with Windows (I also tried updating the driver for the video card, that I saw as a suggestion, wiht no luck).

There is no other software installed on the disk. There was VPN software present on the other disk but I do not believe it was installed; I had disinstalled it prior, and disintalled much software before upgrading. Also the clean install was done from a DVD that I had just created, with the latest updates from Microsoft.

I’ve run out of ideas to try .. help! I am tearing my hair out and don't want o go bald just yet.

Solution
It would help us tonne's if you could pass on your full system's pecs inclusive of your connected peripherals and those running off the USB port. Have you made sure your BIOS is up to date? I'm assuming your installation of the SSD took place prior to installing Windows 10 but after you upgraded from Windows 7. You should populate your system with the SSD, install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 with all your components attached.

At this point, I'd suggest disabling automatic device driver updates and then installing all the drivers for you device manually under either
a| Elevated command:
Right Click Installer>Run as Administrator

b| Compatibility Mode:
Right Click Installer>Properties>Compatibility...

Lutfij

Titan
It would help us tonne's if you could pass on your full system's pecs inclusive of your connected peripherals and those running off the USB port. Have you made sure your BIOS is up to date? I'm assuming your installation of the SSD took place prior to installing Windows 10 but after you upgraded from Windows 7. You should populate your system with the SSD, install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 with all your components attached.

At this point, I'd suggest disabling automatic device driver updates and then installing all the drivers for you device manually under either
a| Elevated command:
Right Click Installer>Run as Administrator

b| Compatibility Mode:
Right Click Installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows 7/8] [from drop down menu]

Mind you, you're going to need to reinstall your OS after you've performed an upgrade to rid your system of any underlying issues, might I suggest you use a bootable USB installer instead and recreate your installer to rid your installer of any corruption?

Further reading:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2751316/connectivity-issues-windows-fixes.html

* It also looks like your wireless adapter has drivers that support up to Windows 8.1 so you're going to have to install it under compatibility mode.

Solution

ccvvbb

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for reply
In the end, after so much frustration, I just bought a wifi card (D-Link) and that worked straight away with no issues.

My system itself is very simple (at time of installation) with no other USB devices connected apart from a Microsoft keyboard, precisely to avoid conflict.
System details: Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T & AMD Radeon Graphics HD5700
Yes I did update the AMD Radeon driver. No I didn’t update the bios; there doesn’t seem to be a new version out.
I’d have thought a fresh install of Windows 10 would give me the most stable operating system for the future, rather than overlaying Windows 7.
The install was from a boot DVD created from the Microsoft website. I’d expect this to be reliable.
I wasn’t able to install the T-link driver, of course running as Administrator, even with disabling automatic device driver updates

I’d had other Win 10 installs on 2 other PCs and run into different but very hard issues to resolve.
Overall it seems to me that the overall benefits from installing Win 10 vs Win 7 are small given the trouble and lack of reliability of the installation process, and the lack of standout advantages in Win 10 (I’ve used Classic Shell in the past but this doesn’t work so well in Win 10; the Windows 8 and 10 tiling drives me mad and it ought to have been easy to provide simple classic menu alternatives).
Thanks for reply