Question Wifi only works on laptop right net to router

Dominikm

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Hi all,

I read the How To Ask For Help Regarding Your Wireless Connection post so here goes.

We just moved to a new house today. I have the wifi working on my iPhone. Upstairs (townhouse/2 levels) it's weaker but a speed test shows it downloading at 20mb/sec. So it connects and works. But with the laptop I'm literally a few meters away from the router and sometimes the connection doesn't even show. When it does it's connecting as secured but no internet. If I take the laptop right next to the router it works fine.

• Provide us with the make and model of your laptop (if applicable): Toshiba Satellite C70-C
  • Provide us with the make and model of your router: ZTE
  • Provide us with the make and model of your modem: ZXHN F668
  • Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including: Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

- Make and model of motherboard: Got this from powershell
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
TOSHIBA AR10CUG 1401141600258 2.0

• Make and model of power supply: Unsure
  • Make and model of USB or PCI Wifi adapter:
Name [00000002] Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

• You will also need to post your ISP and connection type: Not sure who it is as it's provided free with the house here in Thailand.
  • You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time: 2x phones and trying to get my laptop working also.
  • Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself: Internet connects but says secured, no internet when a few meters away from the router. When right next to it it's fine and a speed test is getting.

Any help would be appreciated. I work from home so I need to get this up and running ASAP so I can work again.

Thanks!! :)

Dominikm

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Yes it has, the screen actually comes off right now. I never got it fixed as it leans up against something and I never travel with it these days. Could that be an issue? Some cable is messed up? On top of that I replaced the screen as it was a glossy annoying one and got a nicer non-gloss one put in. It's had other issues to in the past.

laptop.jpg

I will also add that I bought my laptop 3 year ago. It's traveled the world in a backpack. Has been beaten up a bit. So I don't know if that's the issue but I've connected to wifi in hotels and hostels in my travels and those situations are never ideal being a long way from the router. I just figured I'd add this thought.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes it has, the screen actually comes off right now. I never got it fixed as it leans up against something and I never travel with it these days. Could that be an issue? Some cable is messed up? On top of that I replaced the screen as it was a glossy annoying one and got a nicer non-gloss one put in. It's had other issues to in the past.

laptop.jpg

I will also add that I bought my laptop 3 year ago. It's traveled the world in a backpack. Has been beaten up a bit. So I don't know if that's the issue but I've connected to wifi in hotels and hostels in my travels and those situations are never ideal being a long way from the router. I just figured I'd add this thought.
The loose screen is the most likely cause. Either the cable has pulled loose or broken between the antenna (in the lid of the laptop) and the WIFI hardware on the motherboard.

Dominikm

Prominent
May 9, 2019
The loose screen is the most likely cause. Either the cable has pulled loose or broken between the antenna (in the lid of the laptop) and the WIFI hardware on the motherboard.

So something is messed up and that's why wifi is only working close to the router? Now that I think about it the router in the old place was right under my table. But I can't do that here.

Dominikm

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Since the laptop is now relatively fixed, buy a usb wifi dongle that has an antenna.
I presume you do not have an easy way to connect via Ethernet.

Not without taping a cable on the floor and that would be annoying.

Is the laptop worth fixing and buying the new parts? It's at least $150 for the screen and then the wifi stuff. Is it worth it or just worth getting a new laptop that's decent later on?

Are those dongles as good as built in wifi?

Dominikm

Prominent
May 9, 2019

Now that I think about it when a guy looked at my laptop to fix it he said the wifi cable in the lid was broken but I thought nothing of it as the wifi still worked on the laptop. So that cable in the lid boosts the signal? You still get wifi but its a weak signal?