Question Wifi/optical fiber interference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 13, 2021
Hi all,

I have an optical fiber extension from my work desk router to the living room. I had to go for optical fiber because no Wifi system would cover the distance/walls/metals. The thing is that the end media converter (ACTELSER ACT1003) where the optical fiber is converted to 3 ethernet ports, 1 for the Wifi access point, 1 for the Digital TV decoder and 1 for a Zidoo Z9X multimedia player.

The problem is that when the Wifi AP is off I get the 1Gb connection (through the media converter ethernet ports) I have in contract, the same I get from the router but when the Wifi AP is on that number falls to 120Mb if I'm lucky (through the same media converter ethernet ports)
So my question is, does the Wifi AP interfere with the media converter and if so, why?

Best,

Ralston18

Titan
On the media converter disconnect all three devices - but leave the wireless AP on.

Do you get 1 GB with the wireless AP on but no connected devices?

If so, then connect each device again but only one by one allowing some time between connections to check and observe network speed.

While working through all of that, access the router's admin pages and look for what IP address each device is using along with the respective device's MAC.

You should be able to account for every network device: wired and wireless.

There should be no duplicates: IP addresses (DHCP or Static) or MACs.

Double check all device subnet masks as well.

Sep 13, 2021
Ok, so it seems to be fixed. The guys from Actelser came and installed a Wifi AP from their brand and it works great.
YHANK YOU all for your help, I really appreciate it.

I do not know if the thread will be closed after this message so if the system fails again I can use this same one.

All the best,

Carlos

Sep 26, 2022
The impedance occurs with coaxial links yet not with fiber optic links as the sign transmission happens through light, and not current. It opens the fiber optic link establishment capability where EMI can obstruct signal transmission. If you have any problem you can find a solution at Fiber Optic Cable Outlet. Fiber optics are excellent for information transmission between PCs.