[SOLVED] WiFi or plugging into a WiFi extender via Ethernet port?

My gaming rig is set up in my basement. I have WiFi upstairs. In the basement, I've got a WiFi extender with my PC plugged into it via an ethernet port. Obviously, running a line down here would be best. But, would I be better off getting a WiFi card for my PC to reach the WiFi, or keep using the Ethernet plugged into the extender?

Additional info:
Router = Nighthawk R7000
Extender = Netgear DST AC 1900

I bought a combo like this.

Thanks!!!

Solution
My desktop doesn't have wifi capabilities, I'd be purchasing a wifi card if I went that route.

No, I know - but the location wouldn't change much, at all... Right? So, the 'extender' situated right next to your desktop would likely mimic the line of site and speed you could achieve from a wifi card.

I do not have cable.

You don't have cable TV? Or you don't have Coax lines throughout?

My router and extender are listed in my original post.

Yup, my bad. I meant to ask which modem you have....
I assume you've got an ISP provided modem/router/access point all in one and bridged to the R7000, but maybe not.
The R7000 doesn't have a coax out, but the ISP provided unit might.... So MoCA wouldn't be off the table...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm assuming the desktop has a fairly fixed location (give or take a few feet)... So, unless the Wifi adapter in the desktop ended up having a better range vs the extender, or a better line of sight, it would probably be equal to the extender + wired at best.

What;s your home layout like? Could you run a cable externally to the basement? There's some considerations that go along with that of course (wall construction, whether an A-B run is possible, your weather conditions, your comfort level) but it's a potential option.

You have some alternate options though.
1. Powerline - Depending on the age of your wiring, length of circuits, you could utilize the electrical wiring in your home to get a 'wired' network. While there is some overhead, I'd expect results to be better than wifi, assuming reasonable age/condition/length.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=powerline&qid=1590763529&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-4

2. MoCA adapters. Do you have Coax in the home? (typically utilized for cable). If so, MoCA adapters may be worth considering - although they're not cheap. One on either end, unless your router handles MoCA - and it'll perform the same as a direct ethernet connection. There are some caveats depending on your cable provider, as some will work, some will not when the Coax is already in use.
Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1590763553&s=electronics&sr=1-2

You could find a single unit for <$100 if your router can handle the other end.
https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Bridge-...1&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1590763728&sr=8-8

What router do you have? And do you have cable TV?

Reactions: BO7H B4RRELS

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My desktop doesn't have wifi capabilities, I'd be purchasing a wifi card if I went that route.

No, I know - but the location wouldn't change much, at all... Right? So, the 'extender' situated right next to your desktop would likely mimic the line of site and speed you could achieve from a wifi card.

I do not have cable.

You don't have cable TV? Or you don't have Coax lines throughout?

My router and extender are listed in my original post.

Yup, my bad. I meant to ask which modem you have....
I assume you've got an ISP provided modem/router/access point all in one and bridged to the R7000, but maybe not.
The R7000 doesn't have a coax out, but the ISP provided unit might.... So MoCA wouldn't be off the table, yet (beyond cost) unless you don't have coax runs.

EDIT. It actually looks like the "DST adapter" is powerline and not a repeater/extender. It's an Access Point.... but might be able to communicate via Wifi (has it's own LED for wifi) or powerline (for "DST"). Never seen that specific unit deployed before, so not 100% certain here.

Solution
Ah, gotcha... Correct. My PC is about 2 feet from the wifi extender. So, I guess that wouldn't make much of a difference.

I do not have cable TV or coax lines.

All good. Yeah, I was thinking that the DST was both. I can connect to it via WiFi signal and it connects by plugging it in via Ethernet. So, that was kind of my original question... which is faster with that adapter, a wifi signal or plugging it in and uses the powerline feature?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, I was thinking that the DST was both. I can connect to it via WiFi signal and it connects by plugging it in via Ethernet.

Being perfectly honest, I'm not sure. It reads like that adapter can also be powerline, but I don't see how - you'd need ethernet running 'in' to an electrical outlet (from the router) to do so... Which won't be the case if you only have one of them - So it acts as a wifi repeater?

So, that was kind of my original question... which is faster with that adapter, a wifi signal or plugging it in and uses the powerline feature?

I can't speak to that unit, as it's not making sense to me in it's current config coupled with marketing materials.

With good quality electrical runs (ie not too old) and a 'typical' circuit length, I'd expect powerline to be more favourable over multiple floors into a basement.