Wifi PCI Card Connection Issue

thizzathizza

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Hey everyone,

First time poster here. I decided to post here, as I've seen many helpful forums from this website, in hopes of getting some assistance with a frustrating issue I've been having.

- Router: Asus RT-N56U
- Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6120
- Desktop:
- Motherboard: Asus M5A97
- Power Supply: Corsair CX500
- PCI-E Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800

- ISP: Comcast, Cable modem
- Amount of devices varies, up to 7 maximum (usually not all at once). 4 phones, 1 laptop, 1 Roku, 1 desktop.

We used to have a DIR-655 router, but the internet was rather slow over wifi. Connection drops were common with this router so we decided to upgrade to the Asus. After the upgrade the wifi speed was considerably faster. All was good, but I began to notice that my desktop connection would still drop. Also, my girlfriend would complain about her wifi dropping as well. The desktop drops lead me to believe that this was a wifi adapter issue, but her phone issues also made it seem as if it could still be the router. Back to the desktop though. I would be playing a game, and suddenly the connection drops. Here's the odd part: network setting shows that I'm still connected with internet access. For some reason, even though I can't play in-game due to the connection drop, I can still see my teammates typing. This is a very odd issue, and I just have no idea what to do about it.

Thanks to all in advance!

millwright

Distinguished
It's WiFi.

WiFi cuts out on just about all systems.
People in the know don't use it, unless they have to.

What band are you using 2.4GHz, or 5GHz.

How many neighbors do you see with WiFi.

If on 2.4 what channel are you using.

I know it says you have 11, but there are really only 3.

thizzathizza

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

If only I could hardline it, I would. I'm using 2.4G, channel 1. It won't let me connect to 5G either, know why? At any given time I see about 4 neighbors.

thizzathizza

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

Thanks for the replies thus far! How would I go by setting the router and computers to only 5G?

thizzathizza

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

The frequency is already set to 5G. On the Wireless Network Connection my router gives off two connectios: One with my chosen network ID, and another that's called "NetworkProfile~".