[SOLVED] WiFI PCI-e can't connect to network if External USB connected to back USB port

Jun 5, 2020
Hello! My first question here.
Let me know if this is wrong section.

So, I just bought a new WiFI PCI-E card TP-Link TL-WN781ND. I installed it in my motherboard's (Asrock A320M HDV) PCI x1 slot. It works perfectly, can connect to my home router and access internet.

The strange thing is, if I connect external USB HDD (WD My Passport 4TB) to USB port on the back of the PC, my wireless connection will disconnect, and if I try to re-connect, it says "Can't connect to this network". If I unplugged the ext HDD, the WiFI will automatically reconnect. This is not happening if I connect said ext HDD to front panel USB port.

Is there a solution so I can use these USB ports on the back side ?

Edit: Forgot to mention it is on Windows 10, the CPU is AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, no external VGA.

Last edited:
Solution

motherboard is Asrock A320M HDV
It looks like the USB ports don't all have full contact with the I/O shield plate, which could possibly cause a grounding issue when a device is plugged in. If you have a USB 3.0 front panel connection or a rear expansion bracket, try using that for USB 3.0. Edit - One of these https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Bracket-20-Pin-Header-2-Port/dp/B018TK0OZI

kanewolf

Titan
Hello! My first question here.
Let me know if this is wrong section.

So, I just bought a new WiFI PCI-E card TP-Link TL-WN781ND. I installed it in my motherboard's (Asrock A320M HDV) PCI x1 slot. It works perfectly, can connect to my home router and access internet.

The strange thing is, if I connect external USB HDD (WD My Passport 4TB) to USB port on the back of the PC, my wireless connection will disconnect, and if I try to re-connect, it says "Can't connect to this network". If I unplugged the ext HDD, the WiFI will automatically reconnect. This is not happening if I connect said ext HDD to front panel USB port.

Is there a solution so I can use these USB ports on the back side ?

Edit: Forgot to mention it is on Windows 10, the CPU is AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, no external VGA.
Since you say you don't have a graphics card, then try the PCIe card in the x16 PCIe slot. It could be a power issue. Is this HDD powered by the USB port? There are 4 USB3 and two USB2 ports on the back. Does the symptom change is using a different port?
It could just be radio frequency interference from the external HDD.

Jun 5, 2020
Since you say you don't have a graphics card, then try the PCIe card in the x16 PCIe slot. It could be a power issue. Is this HDD powered by the USB port? There are 4 USB3 and two USB2 ports on the back. Does the symptom change is using a different port?
It could just be radio frequency interference from the external HDD.
So I tried moving the Wi-FI to x16 slot, seems to do nothing.
Yes, the ext HDD is USB powered.
If I use any of USB3 ports on the back , the problem persist.
If I use USB2 ports on the back, WiFi is normal.
So my current configuration is, WiFi on x16, mouse & keyboard on USB3 (back side), ext USB HDD on USB2 (back side). WiFi is working normally like this.

Jun 5, 2020
Can you possibly take a close up picture of your I/O backplate inside and outside the case where all USB ports are located? Upload it to an image hosting site and post the link. Edit - Also what is your motherboard model?

It looks like the USB ports don't all have full contact with the I/O shield plate, which could possibly cause a grounding issue when a device is plugged in. If you have a USB 3.0 front panel connection or a rear expansion bracket, try using that for USB 3.0. Edit - One of these https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Bracket-20-Pin-Header-2-Port/dp/B018TK0OZI

Solution