Question Wifi pcie cards conflict with sandisk SSD

Apr 20, 2019
Hi. I have two identical windows 10 desktops that came without hard drives. The one I installed a SanDisk ssd on seems to conflict with pcie Wi-Fi cards. The internet speeds are very slowly compared to the desktop with a mechanical hard drive. I have tried tp-link and asus Wi-Fi cards and updated drivers. Is there an obvious reason the Wi-Fi card does not work with the ssd? Is there a way to fix this or is it my bad for choosing a cheap SSD?

A ssd wouldn't slow down your internet speed. Check your setings in network setting, click on change your adapter settings, right click on your wifi connection, go down to properties, click on configure, click on advanced tab, scroll down in the left hand box down to speed and duplex, click on that, in the right little box set it to 1.0 gbps full duplex. And hit ok. See if this helps your connection.

Reactions: Donberger
Apr 20, 2019
Hi thanks but I don't have speed and duplex option in the advanced tab . The thing is when I do an internet speed test it only gets to round 1mbps compared to nearly 30mbps on identical PC with mechanical drive.

There is not speed or duplex on a wifi card that ethernet but I agree it is unlikely it is the SSD. I am confused how you got a system without a drive and windows 10. What did the system boot off of when you got it. Did you install the OS onto the SSD.

I would suspect a driver issue if you installed a new os onto the SSD. I can't see how a SSD would conflict with any pcie card...assuming you did not install one of those SSDs that is mounted on a PCIE. The SSD is hidden behind the disk controller in the machine.

Apr 20, 2019
I downloaded and installed windows 10 Pro on the SSD via CD as there was a windows pro sticker on the back of the desktop. I connected the SSD with sata cable. Latest drivers installed. They are both dell optiplex, only difference is I installed SSD on one. The Wi-Fi card has good signal and connects it is just slow. Same issue with two different brand Wi-Fi cards. I did search google and it came up with some stuff about lanes I couldn't understand.

Apr 20, 2019
I swapped the drives and the mechanical drive suffers the same slow internet speeds as the SSD in the other desktop. The SSD works fine in the other desktop. So I guess that rules out an issue with the SSD. Desktops are in the same location. Would it be better to buy the USB wi-fi adapter?

I swapped the drives and the mechanical drive suffers the same slow internet speeds as the SSD in the other desktop. The SSD works fine in the other desktop. So I guess that rules out an issue with the SSD. Desktops are in the same location. Would it be better to buy the USB wi-fi adapter?

Did you check for any router firmware updates and a reboot of the router? A different WiFi card is good to try but odd how the issue was with two internal ones.

A ssd wouldn't slow down your internet speed. Check your setings in network setting, click on change your adapter settings, right click on your wifi connection, go down to properties, click on configure, click on advanced tab, scroll down in the left hand box down to speed and duplex, click on that, in the right little box set it to 1.0 gbps full duplex. And hit ok. See if this helps your connection.

Unless speed and duplex is set the same on both ends of the connection you will cause a mismatch!! Poor advise, sorry!

Apr 20, 2019
Right so I reinstalled windows & flashed to latest bios. Installed USB Wifi adapter, but still not working. It recognises the network but either connects with no internet or can't connect. I've reset the network adapter which doesn't help.

Working fine via a wired ethernet connection. I have tried 2 different brand wifi cards and now the usb wifi adapter. Trying to resist the urge to throw the thing out of the window. Is there some kind of setting I need to change or do I have a faulty mobo or something?