[SOLVED] Wifi ping spikes

Nov 8, 2021
Hello im using usb wifi adapter tp-link Archer T3U Plus and im using 5.0Ghz wifi
I have drivers installed but for example when i play apex legends it spikes from 50ms to 100ms for second and the game stutters.(i see it from the game).

Solution
First test is to use a Ethernet cables to be sure it is not the game or something other than the wifi causing it.

You have very little you can do on wifi. You might try to set a different channel on the router. You could also try 2.4 instead of 5. You can also lower the channel width to 20mhz. This will cut the maximum speed but should reduce the chance of interference from neighbors. Games don't care about bandwidth but it will impact your download speeds and will affect all machines in your house not just yours so be sure it is a valid thing to try.

Pretty much this is expected on a wifi connection. Any interference causes delays while the data is re transmitted. In some ways you are lucky to only see a extra 50ms...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

As for your motherboard, please include the BIOS version at the time of writing. Might want to see if uninstalling your wireless adapter's drivers and then manually reinstalling it with the latest sourced from TP-Link's support site for your adapter helps alleviate the issue. When I mentioned elevated command, I meant, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As a side note, what is the make and model of your wireless router?

First test is to use a Ethernet cables to be sure it is not the game or something other than the wifi causing it.

You have very little you can do on wifi. You might try to set a different channel on the router. You could also try 2.4 instead of 5. You can also lower the channel width to 20mhz. This will cut the maximum speed but should reduce the chance of interference from neighbors. Games don't care about bandwidth but it will impact your download speeds and will affect all machines in your house not just yours so be sure it is a valid thing to try.

Pretty much this is expected on a wifi connection. Any interference causes delays while the data is re transmitted. In some ways you are lucky to only see a extra 50ms many people get many hundreds of ms extra. This problem is why playing games on wifi is not recommended if you have any other options. Consider powerline networks or MoCA if you have coax cables in both rooms.

Solution