[SOLVED] WiFi preventing Ethernet from working correctly

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
I recently installed a TP-LINK TL-WN881ND WiFi adaptor and ever since, when i use Ethernet, it try's to search for a WiFi connection first when i am online. This happens even when i have my WiFi switched off. Does anyone know how i can resolve this issue.

Solution
I researched a little and found that Windows 10 already prioritizes ethernet over wifi (I didn't even know Windows 10 put ethernet first by default, I haven't had this issue since Windows 8).
So if you are running Win 10 then it's already using ethernet as the primary. At this point, I would suggest disabling ethernet or wifi. I'm not sure which method you tried to switch off your wifi, so I'd try this method in case you haven't:

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on the wireless adapter > Hit Disable

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Have you tried this yet?
-> https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/give-ethernet-higher-priority-over-wifi-connection-in-windows-10/

What's happening is your system is prioritizing wifi first and then ethernet second, so all you have to do is reorder the priority.
The link above goes to a page where it'll show you how to change it.

If that doesn't solve it then it is probably just your system trying to figure out which to use. In that case, you would have to disconnect the ethernet or remove/disable the wifi adapter.

(I'm very familiar with using both as I have a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 as well as ethernet because my ethernet sometimes disconnects)

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017

This is all i see in the advanced settings
https://imgur.com/v0hd6LV

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
I researched a little and found that Windows 10 already prioritizes ethernet over wifi (I didn't even know Windows 10 put ethernet first by default, I haven't had this issue since Windows 8).
So if you are running Win 10 then it's already using ethernet as the primary. At this point, I would suggest disabling ethernet or wifi. I'm not sure which method you tried to switch off your wifi, so I'd try this method in case you haven't:

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on the wireless adapter > Hit Disable

Solution