[SOLVED] Wifi priority

Dec 21, 2020
Hello everyone,

i have the following scenario at home. I have a laptop i connect to over wi-fi. With the router being located at the far end of the appartment, whenever i would use the laptop on the opposite side of the flat i would get a poor signal. To remedy this i bought a wifi range extender. Ive set up the extender and placed it halfway between the 2 rooms and im getting a very solid increase in connectivity.
My question is this now, does the laptop automatically prioritize the best available connection or do i have to set it up additionally?
For example, if im located in the room where the router is located, is it automatically gonna use that wifi connection as its primary? And if im on the other side of the appartment is it gonna use the range extender wifi?

Thanks for answers!

EDIT: i do not have a wi-fi adapter and i dont want to always switch and manually choose which connection i want to use based on the room im in, im just looking for a way for the machine to have access to both networks and choose the one with the better bandwith at the time

Solution
Hello everyone,

i have the following scenario at home. I have a laptop i connect to over wi-fi. With the router being located at the far end of the appartment, whenever i would use the laptop on the opposite side of the flat i would get a poor signal. To remedy this i bought a wifi range extender. Ive set up the extender and placed it halfway between the 2 rooms and im getting a very solid increase in connectivity.
My question is this now, does the laptop automatically prioritize the best available connection or do i have to set it up additionally?
For example, if im located in the room where the router is located, is it automatically gonna use that wifi connection as its primary? And if im on the other side of the appartment is...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

For example, if im located in the room where the router is located, is it automatically gonna use that wifi connection as its primary? And if im on the other side of the appartment is it gonna use the range extender wifi?

Thanks for answers!

EDIT: i do not have a wi-fi adapter and i dont want to always switch and manually choose which connection i want to use based on the room im in, im just looking for a way for the machine to have access to both networks and choose the one with the better bandwith at the time
WIFI devices are pretty stupid simple devices. If you have the same SSID you have a 50/50 chance it will pick the "right" WIFI. Wit different SSIDs, behavior is device specific. You will have to test.

Solution