Wifi problems with new computer.

Spike21194

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
So I recently built a new computer with windows 10 and occasionally I just D/C from the Wifi. It isnt for long but it is getting to the point I cant do skype calls. For somereason when I am in a skype call My Wifi Dis connects much more often. I am using a TL-WDN4800 wireless adapter.

Dec 7, 2016
I've had this problem too. WiFi disconnects and then reconnects (sometimes) but I believe it is a driver issue with Windows 10. There isn't really a fix unless you go to the manufacturers website and look for latest drivers there. If not then you're screwed with that problem unless manufacturer updates drivers or you get a brand new Windows 10 compatible WiFi adapter.
I tried using compatability mode but that seemed to turn the driver off for some reason.
Now running powerline and ethernet instead.

Spike21194

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

If it is just a problem with that I will most likely buy a new Wireless card. Any suggestions?

Open up device manager, find your wifi card, open its properties, and click the "Driver" tab and check who the provider of the driver is. One annoying thing I've found about Win 10 is that it prefers to overwrite perfectly functioning Win 8 or Win 7 drives with "Win 10 certified" generic Microsoft drivers. It also won't bother looking for manufacturer-provided drivers if a generic Microsoft driver is in place. A lot of times, these generic drivers simply don't work very well.

If the properties page reports that the driver provider is Microsoft, then you've probably got a generic driver in place. Go to the WiFi card manufacturer's web page, download their Win 10 driver, and install it. If they don't have Win 10 drivers yet, you can try the Win 8 or Win 7 drivers. Those usually work. But Win 10 will try to replace them with the generic Microsoft driver again during its automatic updates. There used to be an option to prevent updates from replacing a driver you've flagged, but Microsoft either moved or removed it in the October Win 10 update and I haven't been able to find it again.

Dec 7, 2016

Any brand that is well known and has released a wifi card/adapter in the last year.