Question WiFi randomly disconnecting with Linksys WUSB6300 USB WiFi adapter ?

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
Preface: I am running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop computer, and using a Linksys WUSB6300 AC1200 wifi adapter.

I have been having this problem for a few months now, but it has become more severe as of recent: my internet will stop working (as in, no information in, no information out), and then a few seconds later, the wifi connection will visibly drop. The computer will spend the next 30 or so seconds trying to reconnect. If I observe the process of reconnecting, windows will tell me that it "failed to connect to network" after about 10 seconds, and then immediately try again. While reconnecting, the adapter's WPS/Security LED is a slow flashing amber, which apparently means that there's a WPS session overlap (I don't know what that means. Only source I can find for this information, and I assume this is reliable https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/linksys-wusb6300-ac1200-wireless-ac-usb-adapter,4292.html). After reconnecting, there are no lingering side-effects.

The duration between disconnects is variable, but generally it happens multiple times a day, sometimes in bursts with a few minutes between each, sometimes not. The disconnect occurs independent of the usage of the internet or the computer itself. I have not noticed it occurring more or less likely when using or not using the internet, and it can even interrupt online game sessions, or happen when I have not touched the computer for 30 minutes. By extension, I am able to gather that it is unrelated to how hot the adapter might get (it gets a bit warm sometimes, though. regardless, it still does this when cool).

There are 6 devices connected to the wifi: 3 mobile (android), 3 desktop computers (on windows 10). This desktop computer is the only device with any issues. The router and modem were simultaneously replaced on this very day with a combined router/modem from COX (relevant info below). The issue occurred before replacing the router/modem, and it is still occurring afterward.

After consulting other posts, I have looked through the windows event viewer and reliability monitor. No relevant information in reliability monitor, but I am finding events in the event viewer which I believe correspond to the times of the disconnects (but only to some of them, not all of them seem to have associated events).

I have only spotted warnings as of now:
Event 1014, DNS Client Event: "Name resolution for the name url_goes_here timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Already tried solutions:
  • Reinstalling network drivers
  • Changing which USB port was being used by the adapter
  • Disabling "allow windows to turn off this device to save power"

Full system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Motherboard: B450 Gaming Plus
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
Graphics Card: GTX 1660
RAM: 2 x 8 GB @ 3200 Mhz
Storage: 500 GB Western Digital Blue SSD
PSU: CX650M
Age of components: GPU and Motherboard are going on nearly 2 years, others are on less than 1 year each.

Wifi Adapter: Linksys WUSB6300 AC1200
Age of Adapter: Unknown exact, =< 1 year upper bound.

ISP: COX
Router/Modem Model #: CGM4141
Previous Router/Modem Model #: Unknown

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? If you've got BIOS versions pending, gradually work your way to the latest. You might want to see if reinstalling the OS, after fabricating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools helps. How old is the CX unit in your build?

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? If you've got BIOS versions pending, gradually work your way to the latest. You might want to see if reinstalling the OS, after fabricating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools helps. How old is the CX unit in your build?

Currently on some BIOS version from about a year ago (the latest is from just a week ago). Guess it's time to update.
You specifically used the word 'gradually.' Does that imply a more specific procedure than just updating the BIOS to the latest immediately?

Reinstalling the OS is certainly not something I've thought of. I'll give that a shot in the next couple days.
The CX is 10 months old. I would certainly hope nothing is wrong with it yet.

TRENDING THREADS