Wifi randomly stops working even though it says connected

Paul You

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I m currently using my apartment's "High speed Internet".
Its speed is decent enough, but three or four times a day, the internet stops working even though it says the wifi is connected. I tried ethernet, and even though it has become faster it didn't solve the problem.

I also realized my cellphone also has trouble connecting to wifi. I m not really sure what's happening. I already asked the apartment office about this but they haven't responded yet.

So...what can I do?

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
If your apartment has other people connecting besides you chances are they are using more bandwidth than you at those times when its slow and when its not working altogether they are downloading something so it takes all the connection. You could set bandwidth limits for each connection on your apartments router so everyone can have a share of the internet bandwidth when they need it.

You can do the same thing that's happening to yourself when browsing , you can download or torrent a file and then as your doing that try to browse as well. You'll notice that the pages open very slowly but will eventually open unless they timeout or they will open fast still if your connection bandwidth is high enough you won't see the difference.

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
You will keep experiencing this issue until you can access the router and set these limits in QOS so you would need to talk to your apartments office and get them to set limits on connection speeds. Until then there's a chance for all the bandwidth to be used when you need it. The solution may be to get your own internet connection and if your currently paying for your internet in your apartment I'd ask them for access to your router/modem. To login to the router/modem you can check on the side of the router/modem and you'll see an IP address you type in your browsers search bar and a username and password you input in the next page .