Question WiFi randomly turns off. I'm regretting my PC build.

Jul 13, 2020
2
0
10
0
I've recently built my PC. I'ts a great system but my WiFi randomly goes off for a second. This isn't a huge deal when I'm browsing online since I can disconnect and re connect the WiFi.
However, it's a huge pain in the ass when I'm playing a game because I get disconnected from the game entirely. Any idea on how to fix this? I use an ASUS PCE-AC56 PCI Wireless Express Adapter with a 1660Ti, Ryzen 3600, 16gb cl16 3600 mhz RAM, MSI tomahawk max, ThermalTake toughpower 80+ Gold 650W PSU.
 

hang-the-9

Titan
Moderator
How far away from the router are you, what is in between you and the router? What is the router model? Have you rebooted the router and checked for newer firmware? You can try an external WiFi card, the Netgear AC models with antennas are very good, I bought 3 of them recently and it fixed 90% of the issues I have been having, a new router fixed the other 10%.
 
Jul 13, 2020
2
0
10
0
Hey! Sorry I took so long to respond. I forgot I posted on this forum. Anyway, my computer is located on the 3rd floor of my house and the router is in the basement. I know it's not ideal but the thing is I get perfect ping when I play on my Xbox One. There are 2 floors in the way of my router and my computer. I have AT@T Fiber if that helps with the router model. Also, I haven't checked for new firmware. How do I do that?
 
Last edited:

hang-the-9

Titan
Moderator
Hey! Sorry I took so long to respond. I forgot I posted on this forum. Anyway, my computer is located on the 3rd floor of my house and the router is in the basement. I know it's not ideal but the thing is I get perfect ping when I play on my Xbox One. There are 2 floors in the way of my router and my computer. I have AT@T Fiber if that helps with the router model. Also, I haven't checked for new firmware. How do I do that?
That is bad placement for a router. I doubt your issue is anything aside from the fact that your PC and the router are just far apart with construction in the way. You can try a different WiFi card, I've had good results with the Netgear AC models with an antenna on them. I bought 3 of them for my use.

To update the router you need to logon to it's config page and there should be an option to run an update unless your IPS disabled that. You can also try things like powerline adapters, this got good reviews https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP2ZT5N?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&ascsubtag=trd-us-6946237661537196000-20 there are cheaper ones also. out there.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS