Wifi Range extender for public wifi (no password, only sign-in page)

gmlshd

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
My building provides free wifi for residents. The wifi is NOT password protected, but it does have a sign-in page where you accept T&Cs. Can I use a WiFi range extender to connect to such as network and boost its strength?

Edit: I am considering the Netger EX2700 or TPLink TL-WA855RE. I do not have access to the router and will not be able to connect to it directly during the setup process. I do have the ability to plug the extender in a location where the original signal is fairly strong.

Solution
It should work if the repeater supports running on a open network. The building is a fool if they are running a network with no encryption, some stupid sign in page can be bypassed and intercepted.

What you are doing though will not just affect you. Anyone else using this network may connect to your device rather than one of the building ap. It can cause performance issues for other people. If I was the building owner I would not allow this.

What is really bad is you could build a man in the middle attack pc and make it appear as a repeater. People would connect and as the data is repeated by your device you could capture and in some cases modify anything passing though.

This is why even most open systems still use...
It should work if the repeater supports running on a open network. The building is a fool if they are running a network with no encryption, some stupid sign in page can be bypassed and intercepted.

What you are doing though will not just affect you. Anyone else using this network may connect to your device rather than one of the building ap. It can cause performance issues for other people. If I was the building owner I would not allow this.

What is really bad is you could build a man in the middle attack pc and make it appear as a repeater. People would connect and as the data is repeated by your device you could capture and in some cases modify anything passing though.

This is why even most open systems still use encryption. Then to prevent repeaters or man in the middle attacks they disable WDS on the main router. This prevent simplistic repeaters from functioning.

Make sure you are always using a VPN no matter how you proceed in a building that has a open wifi system.

Solution