WiFi Range Extender lost connection

juang91

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I bought a WiFi Range extender from Netgear (Nighthawk X4) but I am having trouble keeping the connection stable on the extender. After I connect my devices to the extender I get internet for a while before I get disconnected and I get an error saying that the device has the wrong IP configuration. I tried moving the extender closer to the modem thinking that maybe the extender was losing signal to the modem but that did not seem to fix the problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Solution
My thought would be an IP address conflict.

Did you assign a Static IP address to the Netgear WiFi Range Extender?

And you must also reserve that Static IP address on the router via the WFi Range Extenders MAC.

Be sure that the assigned Static IP is also outside of the DHCP IP address range allotted to the router.

Make a list of all your network devices, check their IP addresses, note if static or dynamic, and the subnet mask being used.

Your router may also provide a map or list of connected devices. Look for duplicate IPs either on the list you made or on the router's list.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought would be an IP address conflict.

Did you assign a Static IP address to the Netgear WiFi Range Extender?

And you must also reserve that Static IP address on the router via the WFi Range Extenders MAC.

Be sure that the assigned Static IP is also outside of the DHCP IP address range allotted to the router.

Make a list of all your network devices, check their IP addresses, note if static or dynamic, and the subnet mask being used.

Your router may also provide a map or list of connected devices. Look for duplicate IPs either on the list you made or on the router's list.

Solution