[SOLVED] Wifi Range Extending

Jul 31, 2019
I have a detached garage at my apartment that I want to connect to my network. The signal quality is poor, however I have successfully connected a raspberry pi with a TP-link N150 USB wireless adapter to my wifi network. I can communicate with the device, although the connection is slow. I have been trying to connect a TP-Link AC1750 wifi range extender, but despite repeated attempts and moving the extender as close as possible, I can't get a connection. A wired network connection is not possible. My question is, why would a small low power USB wifi adapter be able to connect to my wifi network when an AC1750 range extender can't? Are there other methods that I could try for extending my network?

Solution
Do you have a direct line of sight to your garage? Can you put a directional WIFI device, wired back to your primary router, in a window or on your deck/patio pointing at the garage? That is the best way to get WIFI. BUT, in an apartment situation, there is SO MUCH interference from competing WIFI that it will be difficult at best. You might have to use a pair of directional WIFI devices setup as a wireless bridge. Something like a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations -- https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/

kanewolf

Titan
Do you have a direct line of sight to your garage? Can you put a directional WIFI device, wired back to your primary router, in a window or on your deck/patio pointing at the garage? That is the best way to get WIFI. BUT, in an apartment situation, there is SO MUCH interference from competing WIFI that it will be difficult at best. You might have to use a pair of directional WIFI devices setup as a wireless bridge. Something like a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations -- https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Reactions: normynormand
Solution
Jul 31, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion! I actually don't have line of sight either, for got to mention that. Do you think the Ubiquiti Nanostations would work in my situation without line of sight?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the suggestion! I actually don't have line of sight either, for got to mention that. Do you think the Ubiquiti Nanostations would work in my situation without line of sight?
Without a line of sight, it is impossible to predict, but unlikely to be very successful. My original post was trying to recommend 5Ghz because of the larger number of channels. there is actually a 900 Mhz version of the nanostations. That frequency would penetrate walls best. You would definitely REQUIRE a pair of them if you attempted the 900Mhz bridge. The 900Mhz are more expensive than the 5Ghz versions. But without a line of sight, I don't believe the 5Ghz would work.