Wifi Router Crashes Strangely

Oct 17, 2018
I have had this program for a very long time now (6 months) and after searching every relevant page on the internet and trying to find a solution I have finally turned to the forums.
My house is not that large but the wifi router is positioned at the far end of the house, I can not change this. My router is quite a powerful one (Netgear AC1900 Wireless Router Nighthawk) and I know the problem is not the actual internet speed because i have just got NBN and get about 50mbps download when the router is functioning. The problem is that even though the house is not very large, devices struggle to connect at the other end, this is not surprising because the house has thick walls and would most likely block the signal a lot. I thought the way to solve this problem was to buy and extender, i purchased a decent range extender (TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender) and after setting it up i assumed it would solve the problem of the range. It solved the problem but now i have an even worse problem, im not 100% sure what happens but i think when you move a connected device from one end of the house to another, the router and/or the extender doesnt like it. It crashes the router and i have to restart it fully, I have configured the extender to extend both my 2.4ghz and my 5ghz network from the router and made it keep the same SSID for simplicity.
I would really like to be able to find a fix to this problem as it has been driving me and my family insane for too long.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Oct 15, 2018
It sounds like the Netgear doesn't like the hand-off from the TP-Link. Some devices just don't play nice together. I've had trouble with Nighthawks when I add additional access points. I would try a different approach instead of the range extender. You could use Powerline Adapters to move the Nighthawk to a better spot in the house. Connect one Powerline Adapter to your modem and the other Powerline Adapter to the WAN port of your Nighthawk in a more centralized location. And if that works better, return the TP-Link unit if possible.
Here's a Netgear Powerline Adapter kit that would be good: https://amzn.to/2RTKB4F Or TP-Link if you prefer: https://amzn.to/2RVWMO8

If you can't return the TP Link and don't like the PLA idea, then I suggest calling TP Link support to see if they can help identify what's happening or maybe they can suggest an alternative setup perhaps using Wireless WAN instead of Universal Repeater or something like that, that might work better.

Oct 17, 2018

Thanks for the the reply, the ethernet powerlines adapters have been something I have looked at but the price is keeping it back, if it is the only solution I will have to do it but I have already bought 2 different extenders and tried 3 different routers so I can’t really spend more money on this if doesn’t work

Oct 15, 2018
but I have already bought 2 different extenders and tried 3 different routers
I hear ya there! I was assuming you just recently purchased them and they could easily be returned. If it's Amazon or any other online purchase, you can send them back easily even if you've used them for a bit.

Oct 17, 2018

Sadly i have not recently purchased them and kinda put up with the internet constantly crashing for about 6 months, i guess the only solution involves spending more...