Wifi router usb hdd slow speed on large file transfer

Oct 11, 2018
Short summary: the speed of filecopy to and from USB hdd connected to Netgear R7800 drops significantly after around 7-8GB has been copied, consistently.

More details:

I get around 35 MB/s for roughly the first 7-8GB of data copied from laptop to USB hdd connected to the R7800's USB port via 5ghz wifi.

After the first 7-8GB the speed drops to around 6-7 MB/s. This happens consistently, for both a USB 2.0 hdd with external power supply and a USB 3.0 hdd, hence the problem must be with the R7800 and not the USB hdd's. If I use windows copy or ftp, the copy process will be abrupted after some time (usually around after 10 GB data copied). If i press pause, wait around 10 minutes and then continue the copy process, the copy will continue a high speed (over 20 MB/s) for some minutes, and then drop to lower speeds and eventually be abrupted if not paused again. If I use Teracopy (specialized copy program), then the copy process is not abrupted but otherwise it's the same speed problems.

To me this could seem like a overheating problem, but the R7800 is placed so that it has good ventilation.

Since my guess is that it is a overhating problem, my plan is to add a heatsink on the cpu, drill holes in the front and add fans on both the front and back to allow for better ventilation.

I have the latest firmware V1.0.2.58 installed and the OS on my laptop is Windows 10.

I would appreciate very much if you have some thoughts on this, if it could be fixed in any way?

Oct 11, 2018

there are several reasons why I want the hdd connected to the wifi router and not the laptop.

I am not sure what you want picture of, and how that can help solve the problem?

Oct 11, 2018

Update: problem solved!The issue was weak wifi signal. I moved the router to an open spot and voila - problem solved.Also tested maximum speed via ethernet lan cable - turned out to be around 40 mb/s for around 20GB, then slowed down to around 20 mb/s, steadily for the remaining 20 GB.

TRENDING THREADS