Question Wifi router with dhcp disabled vs AP

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I was wondering, would having a hardwired AP be better than a second router with dhcp disabled? I currently have the second router with dhcp disabled and both router and second router have the same ssid. I'm finding weak reception around certain parts of the house and I believe it's because my devices (phone, table, etc) isn't smart enough to connect to the right router/secondary router.

Would removing the second router and replacing it with an ap be better.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model routers?

= = = =

I would begin with the second router, dhcp disabled.

Three reasons:

1) You have it. No extra expense.

2) You can set it up and do some testing - determine how well it all works. Move it around etc.. And it can be hardwired.

3) If the Main router fails then you have a "spare" available. (May be limited but at least you would have some network functionality.)

Take a few minutes to read the documentation and plan it all out. Sketch a diagram with all devices and connections.

Then configure and test.

Likely that you will learn more during the process and that knowledge will prove beneficial.

kanewolf

Titan
I was wondering, would having a hardwired AP be better than a second router with dhcp disabled? I currently have the second router with dhcp disabled and both router and second router have the same ssid. I'm finding weak reception around certain parts of the house and I believe it's because my devices (phone, table, etc) isn't smart enough to connect to the right router/secondary router.

Would removing the second router and replacing it with an ap be better.
Not necessarily. Your primary router may be transmitting too STRONG a signal. Therefore, the device doesn't have a reason to roam. You need to see if your WIFI router has the option to reduce transmit power. Purpose built APs have options like reducing transmit power. Many cheap home WIFI don't.

TRENDING THREADS