[SOLVED] Wifi Router With Easy QoS Recommendations Please!!!

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Hello,

I am rather illiterate with my knowledge on routers, so I hope the following makes sense.

I have temporarily moved in with parents while waiting for my new house to be ready in 3 months, so my budget is maximum £100, but the lower the better as I will only need it for this limited time.

Unfortunately, they live in a relatively large house where I am unable to connect via ethernet, so I must be able to use my laptop for gaming using WiFi.

They currently use a BT Smart Hub, with download speed of around 35 mbs and upload of 9 mbs. The problem, is that they seem to have some weird addiction with having as many technological devices connected to WiFi as possible. So my current experience is that I am struggling to play a single game of anything without lag spikes or packet loss. They have a total of around 14 devices connected at any given time (from recollection: x3 phones, x2 ipad, x3 smart tv, x1 Amazon Fire Stick, x2 smart hubs on different tvs, wifi cctv camera, amazon alexa, my laptop), with 2 TVs constantly streaming throughout the evening.

I have tried using a Wifi TP Link but this did not change anything. So my friend suggested I get a router where I can prioritise my laptop to have the most stable connection.

To summarise. Firstly, will a router with QoS solve my situation?

If so, secondly, due to my circumstances only lasting around 3 months and due to my lack of technical knowledge, I need one that is relatively cheap but also very easy to configure, such as A) Whack my computer's IP address in. B) Select 'Highest Priority')

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
QoS is actually one of the most advanced network topics there is. It requires massive background knowledge to do it correctly.

First QoS does nothing for wifi. Wifi is still controlled by the end devices not the router so it is still the wild west out their. If your problem is other devices stomping on you there really is nothing you can do to fix this. Only option would be to configure the other devices to use say the 2.4g radio leaving the 5g radio for your device.

Now if you are actually exceeding your bandwidth QoS can do something. Your current router might be able to show you if you are using all your bandwidth. QoS will do nothing it there is plenty of bandwidth. There never is a choice to make between...
QoS is actually one of the most advanced network topics there is. It requires massive background knowledge to do it correctly.

First QoS does nothing for wifi. Wifi is still controlled by the end devices not the router so it is still the wild west out their. If your problem is other devices stomping on you there really is nothing you can do to fix this. Only option would be to configure the other devices to use say the 2.4g radio leaving the 5g radio for your device.

Now if you are actually exceeding your bandwidth QoS can do something. Your current router might be able to show you if you are using all your bandwidth. QoS will do nothing it there is plenty of bandwidth. There never is a choice to make between traffic if it is never being delayed.

If you think your problem is wifi I would consider powerline devices which lets you use the power wires in your house a ethernet cable. The models based on av2 like 600 or 1200 models are the newest technology.

Solution

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

Now if you are actually exceeding your bandwidth QoS can do something. Your current router might be able to show you if you are using all your bandwidth. QoS will do nothing it there is plenty of bandwidth. There never is a choice to make between traffic if it is never being delayed.

If you think your problem is wifi I would consider powerline devices which lets you use the power wires in your house a ethernet cable. The models based on av2 like 600 or 1200 models are the newest technology.

Great response, thank you so much for your advice. I will try a powerline adapter. I thought I had bought this when I mentioned the TP Link that I tried, but it was simply a wifi plug that I could put an thernet cable in, so it was still wireless.