[SOLVED] WiFi routers - regional differences

randy789

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
Hi,

Due to better prices it could be tempting to buy a new WiFi router from a seller outside of one's own home country. (or even the likes of Banggood)
Now, of the WiFi routers I've owned none has had a note on it saying "For use in [country name] only", but I know that especially for the 5 GHz range regulations do differ between countries.
I don't know if some do, but the routers I've owned didn't allow for setting a county or region in the router's configuration. (at least not with the manufacturer's original firmware)

So, how would one go about this? Or just stick with buying a WiFi router locally in any case?

Solution
The FCC and other similar organizations forced the wifi chipset manufactures to hide the country setting. Seems this is only something that can be set at the factory.

The difference is in the model number in most cases. Very technically customs in whatever country should prevent the import of these devices but they are more worried about more serious violations. I know you can get all kinds of illegal equipment out of china directly. What is strange is china has one of the most restricted radio bands.

Your problem will likely be that your end device will also be country locked and if you try to use a band you should not it will not work. Kinda like how USA cell phones can't see 2.4g channels above 11.

I guess it depends...
The FCC and other similar organizations forced the wifi chipset manufactures to hide the country setting. Seems this is only something that can be set at the factory.

The difference is in the model number in most cases. Very technically customs in whatever country should prevent the import of these devices but they are more worried about more serious violations. I know you can get all kinds of illegal equipment out of china directly. What is strange is china has one of the most restricted radio bands.

Your problem will likely be that your end device will also be country locked and if you try to use a band you should not it will not work. Kinda like how USA cell phones can't see 2.4g channels above 11.

I guess it depends on the countries.

Solution
It depends I guess. As long as the country you are shipping it from covers all the radio bands you need. It really doesn't matter if the device can use other frequencies or transmit at higher than the allowed power. The laws tend to be that just owning a device is not the issue it is actually using the radio bands that are not allowed that can get you into trouble.

Its not like they drive around and look for signals....well maybe in some police state countries. Pretty much they only investigate this when someone complains of interference.