[SOLVED] Wifi Security?

Oct 20, 2021
Can wifi user see other connected wifi users activity? if yes then can normal person do this or hacker and then should we share our wifi password with neighbors or friends etc and should we use hotel, airport and park etc wifi and how we can prevent from these security issues?

Solution
There are 2 exposures.

First you are on the same network so they can see your machine and attack your machine. This does not directly let them see what you are doing but there are attacks like arp poison someone could use. This is not just a wifi problem if you were to give them a ethernet cable you run t he same risks. The lan on a home network was not designed to be protect you from hacking between the machines on the lan.

Now can they see the data if they know the shared key password. Sorta of. The shared key is only used to generate what is called the session key. This is a unique key that is made up of some random numbers along with the mac addresses of the 2 devices. It is this key that is used to transfer...

USAFRet

Titan
Can wifi user see other connected wifi users activity? if yes then can normal person do this or hacker and then should we share our wifi password with neighbors or friends etc and should we use hotel, airport and park etc wifi and how we can prevent from these security issues?
Depends on how you have sharing set up in your house.
If YOUR house systems are sharing, then someone else connected to your LAN can almost certainly see that data.

"should we share our wifi password with neighbors or friends "
How well do you trust ALL of your neighbors friends, incl people you do not know.

Hotel, etc?
I never do anything critical, unless I go through a VPN.

There are 2 exposures.

First you are on the same network so they can see your machine and attack your machine. This does not directly let them see what you are doing but there are attacks like arp poison someone could use. This is not just a wifi problem if you were to give them a ethernet cable you run t he same risks. The lan on a home network was not designed to be protect you from hacking between the machines on the lan.

Now can they see the data if they know the shared key password. Sorta of. The shared key is only used to generate what is called the session key. This is a unique key that is made up of some random numbers along with the mac addresses of the 2 devices. It is this key that is used to transfer the data between the end device and the router. Each machines communication gets it own. Now what the shared key does is protect the messages being send back and forth to generate the session key. If someone knows the shared key they could then watch the negotiation of the session key and use that to decrypt your data.

It does not take much hacking skill it takes more someone who is willing to do the tedious capturing and decoding. key here is you need to get the very start of a session for it to do any good. It though is not very hard to spoof a message to cause the session to have to be restarted.

In general most people are too lazy to bother trying to hack your session. There is not much they will find out and all your data is likely has a second layer of encryption using HTTPS so even if they got the data other than the IP addresses you are talking to you can't tell where is really going on.

If you are going to share a password add a guest network or maybe get a router that lets you run multiple session ids. Things like guest network only allow internet access so it stop the attack on the local machines and since it uses a different shared key it can not be used to hack your main network SSID.

Solution
Oct 20, 2021
Depends on how you have sharing set up in your house.
If YOUR house systems are sharing, then someone else connected to your LAN can almost certainly see that data.

"should we share our wifi password with neighbors or friends "
How well do you trust ALL of your neighbors friends, incl people you do not know.

Hotel, etc?
I never do anything critical, unless I go through a VPN.

LAN means connectivity through wifi or Ethernet cable or only with Ethernet cable? And when someone on same network then normal person can see activity or expert person?

And when someone know our wifi password then how much he is security risk for us?

USAFRet

Titan
LAN = Local Area Network.
WiFi or ethernet...anything connected to that same router.

If someone knows your WiFi password, they can connect to the outer world, through your connection and account.
Anything they do, you may be responsible for.

Oct 20, 2021
LAN = Local Area Network.
WiFi or ethernet...anything connected to that same router.

If someone knows your WiFi password, they can connect to the outer world, through your connection and account.
Anything they do, you may be responsible for.
if some one know my wifi password then what can he do i mean can he see my wifi router connect devices activity etc other than connecting outer world?

USAFRet

Titan
if some one know my wifi password then what can he do i mean can he see my wifi router connect devices activity etc other than connecting outer world?
It depends on if and how you do any sharing between your systems. If he is connected to your network, its just as if he was in your living room.

Also, any potential illegal activities he does while connected to your router...any investigation starts with you.