Question Wifi signal doesnt seem constant

emd023

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
I have AT&T at 75mbps. Speedtest runs on average around 20-30mbps. The modem/router (provided by AT&T) is upstairs. When I am downstairs (about 20 ft from the router) I mostly have full bars but sometimes it will quickly jump to one bar.

I work from home and during my meetings the connection will cut out for about 5 seconds. I never completely disconnect. I tried taking a few meetings upstairs right next to the router and never experienced a 5 second cut out but I do notice that the audio from the call will "freeze" for a second. This happens every minute or so. I dont have much issue browsing the web on my PC but I do have issues on my cell phone when downstairs. Web pages will fail to load or pieces of the site will be missing. I also notice that these issues are MUCH worse if my roommate is using the wifi.

Should this wifi signal be this weak? I dont really know how to troubleshoot this issue. The AT&T guy came out and ran a speed test (which seems to work fine) but im not sure how to test my issues. Are there any sites or software than can test my symptoms? Connection quality and signal strength?

Thanks!

Update: brought my PS4 into the room where the router is and tried to play an online game. It was unplayable. Extreme lag. So this means the signal strength might not be the issue.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
That is fairly common for wireless from floor to floor. The best solution (assuming that you cannot run an Ethernet cable to an AP on the other floor) is usually a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters to bridge the gap. Many are sold in a pair with one that has wireless capability built in to give you a solid signal on the other floor, like THIS ONE for example.

emd023

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Update: brought my PS4 into the room where the router is and tried to play an online game. It was unplayable. Extreme lag. So this means the signal strength might not be the issue.