WiFi Signal Fluctuating & Disappearing Every Few Seconds

hewhoknows77

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Hello, dear experts. After contacting Linksys technical support and getting over the shock and amazement of being denied help with an issue because my "1-year free technical support period has expired", I ended up here.

In short: I have 4 computers in the household, 2 using ethernet setup, 2 using wifi. There haven't been any issues for 2-3 years, and suddenly the wifi started acting strange on both computers using wifi. Signal strength that's always been at 5 bars fluctuates every 2 seconds from 5 to 3 to 1 and the connection drops—the network disappears from the list. When it reappears, the system cannot identify it for a moment, sometimes does sometimes not, and the cycle repeats. At no point is there any actual connection with the internet. Meanwhile, no apparent issues with the modem or ethernet network, which leaves only the router as a suspect.

Here's the information I should provide:
Machine: Asus X551CA
Router: Linksys EA6350
Modem: Arris TM722
Motherboard listed as X551CA
Don't know how to check the model of power supply or PCI wifi adapter
System: Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Driver version for my wlan card: 5.0.55.0
ISP: Comcast
Nr. of devices connected to my network: 5 (router +4 laptops)
No error messages.

I tried changing channels, channel width and other settings, to no avail. Right now I'm on channel 1 with the least traffic, 20MHz channel width. Firmware is up to date, I also tried a hard reset and reconfiguration of the network and reset netsh winsock and disabled IPv6 in the adapter, without results. I also went through 30+ other threads describing the same issue and tried the solutions suggested, to no avail.

If you guys had any ideas what could be the issue, I'll be grateful.