[SOLVED] WiFi Signal Strength Bars/W10

Lynval

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015
Hi.

I use two HP Desktop computers. WiFi worked fine on both of them. In the last few days, one of them always display full signal strength.

On the other one, signal strength dropped to 1 or 2 bars, to the extent that I was unable to Logout from an email. Had to force shutdown.

Any advice, please ?

Thank you.

Solution
Are you using a built in wifi adapter on the second desktop or are you using a PCIe slotted or USB based wifi adapter?

Either way: make & model?

Also double check that the only the wireless adapter is enabled on the second desktop.

Check that the antennas (if any) are fully and firmly in place and properly aligned. Any antenna extension cables?

If a USB adapter touch it before turning on the computer. Then, while working on the computer, continually touch (do so carefully) the USB adapter. If it gets overly warm or even hot then the adapter is failing.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you using a built in wifi adapter on the second desktop or are you using a PCIe slotted or USB based wifi adapter?

Either way: make & model?

Also double check that the only the wireless adapter is enabled on the second desktop.

Check that the antennas (if any) are fully and firmly in place and properly aligned. Any antenna extension cables?

If a USB adapter touch it before turning on the computer. Then, while working on the computer, continually touch (do so carefully) the USB adapter. If it gets overly warm or even hot then the adapter is failing.

Solution

Lynval

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015
Bought recently, refurbished HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF, came with USB WiFi adapter and W10 installed. Was working fine, until about a week or so ago.

I have a TP-Link USB, not for this PC. Don't know if it would work with this one

HP XW4400 Workstation, has it for years, W7. Works fine. With Wireless router.