Question WIFI Slow But Only On One Device

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi, i've been having a problem with my WIFI speeds for the last couple of days but only on my laptop.

I've tried searching for malware with malwarebytes, searched with avast, Microsoft Safety Scanner, updated avast, done a safeboot, checked router but nothing has worked.

I tried google searches and was told to update my network adapter driver which i did and now i'm only getting one bar on the access logo. it's usually full 99% of the time
uko5PJn.jpg

I'm on Windows 8.1. currently only getting 2.8 mbps it's usually over 30 to 60

Thanks for any help

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, i've been having a problem with my WIFI speeds for the last couple of days but only on my laptop.

I've tried searching for malware with malwarebytes, searched with avast, Microsoft Safety Scanner, updated avast, done a safeboot, checked router but nothing has worked.

I tried google searches and was told to update my network adapter driver which i did and now i'm only getting one bar on the access logo. it's usually full 99% of the time
uko5PJn.jpg

I'm on Windows 8.1. currently only getting 2.8 mbps it's usually over 30 to 60

Thanks for any help
The antenna (built into the lid of the laptop) may have come disconnected from the WIFI card or the antenna could have failed at the hinge joint of the lid. But the low signal level indicates an antenna problem as the first thing to look into.

kanewolf

Titan

kanewolf

Titan
what videos am i looking for? to opened it up or identify problem?

It wasn't that low until i updated the network adapter.
From post #4 above "Start by looking for WIFI upgrade videos for your specific model on YouTube. " -- That will show you what is required to get to the WIFI card. It might be a simple door on the back of the laptop or it might require much more disassembly. You have never bothered to tell us what model laptop we are dealing with, so I can only guess.

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
HP Pavilion Notebook 15 (Windows 8.1)

I've bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxesla-Ad...07PNQ6JWC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

but having problems with install. the driver installs but in the device manager it shows with a yellow triangle. tried searching for updates none found. so tried the download driver from "http://weoo.cc/b6zp to install" they describe but it says it not compatible with my system for some reason.

No other networks are showing .
Those "nano" devices are JUNK. There is no space for an antenna. The only USB type adapters I recommend are like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7?th=1 Two large antennas, and a pedestal that allows you to get it away from a desktop PC case.

kanewolf

Titan
is there no way to install this? or to check if my laptop is blocking the internet? something to do with the firewall?
Did you read any instructions that came with the USB adapter? Sometimes you have to run the software BEFORE ever plugging in the device.
Since it shows up in device manager, have you tried doing a manual update using the driver disk that came with the adapter ?

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Did you read any instructions that came with the USB adapter? Sometimes you have to run the software BEFORE ever plugging in the device.
Since it shows up in device manager, have you tried doing a manual update using the driver disk that came with the adapter ?
The instructions on the amazon page and in the comments said just plug in and it's done. i uninstalled from the device manager and then tried downloading and installing the driver from http://weoo.cc/b6zp and then it said it's not compatible with my system for some reason.

In Device Manager i clicked to Update Driver Software and got "Windows could not find the driver software for your device"

Try a driver directly from the realtek site. Although most those sites are ok they need to make money somehow to pay their hosting costs. I would only use those drivers when you can not get them from a manufacture or large vendor site.
Someplace I saw that that device is using RTL8811au chipset

kanewolf

Titan
The instructions on the amazon page and in the comments said just plug in and it's done. i uninstalled from the device manager and then tried downloading and installing the driver from http://weoo.cc/b6zp and then it said it's not compatible with my system for some reason.

In Device Manager i clicked to Update Driver Software and got "Windows could not find the driver software for your device"
Instead of having Windows search, use the "I have a driver" option and point Windows to the disk that came with the adapter.

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Try a driver directly from the realtek site. Although most those sites are ok they need to make money somehow to pay their hosting costs. I would only use those drivers when you can not get them from a manufacture or large vendor site.
Someplace I saw that that device is using RTL8811au chipset
I'm a real novice at this would you know what i should be downloading from realtek? and how to set it up?

The reason I tend to not provide direct links is so people learn to search the site but you also should not blindly click on links. Some people post short links you can not really be sure what do even if they go to the correct site and in some cases the text in the message does not match the actual link.
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8811au-software

I do not have this nic so I am not sure if i can try installing this, and not sure I want to take the chance of messing up my machine.

In general most these are a executable that will just run and prompt you for what you want to do or they are some kind of ZIP file you need to unzip and then there likely is some program called setup you want to run. Hard to say there seems to be a couple captcha things inbetween so I did not go far to see what the file name really was.

You generally should not blindly run software like this but in this case it is coming directly from a well known vendor that matches you equipment.

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
tried to install but got this
zR1G9kk.jpg

The same as the driver on the amazon page :confused_old:

edit: just downloaded and installed the Opera browser to see if anything is blocking installing programs. installed fine.

Last edited:

Maoams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Been in touch with the manufacturer and they've told me to

1. Delete all network card drivers on the computer
  2. Download the driver package and see if there is a decompressed compressed package
  3. After installing the driver package, insert it into the computer

Is it ok to delete network adapters? can i reinstall them?