[SOLVED] Wifi slower than already slow internet.

bennybart03

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
So I get 3.8mbps over wifi on my Netgear nighthawk x8. But, when i plug into Ethernet on the back of the modem i get 5mbps. still super slow, but a big difference compared to 3.8 (and thats only on a good day). Why is my overkill router only giving me 3.8? How do I fix this? Keeping my pc plugged into the modem is not an option, sadly.

Solution
You might be able to increase the channel on the web. Type in your ip address into the address bar(While being connected to the wifi). Or just find it by:
1.Open CMD(no need for administrator mode)
  1. Type in "ipconfig"
  2. Copy the default gateway and paste it into the address bar
You should be able to increase the power for the router there. And you can also increase the channel. Power saving mode reduce the speed DRASTICLY, and most router have it default on, so turn the power saving mode off(it increase my download and upload speed by 20%).

For most router the default login is
Username: root
Password: admin

Or if there is only a password box then just type admin or your wifi password.

bennybart03

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
What is your ISP? What kind of modem do they provide, and how old is it?
Armstrong. It's a bec 802.11n Dual WAN ADSL2+ Firewall Router. It is set to bridge mode. It's around 2 years old I think. I've called them about the slow speeds before. They just say we have to wait for fiber, which will take years. So I'm just trying to get most of what I have.

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
You might be able to increase the channel on the web. Type in your ip address into the address bar(While being connected to the wifi). Or just find it by:
1.Open CMD(no need for administrator mode)
  1. Type in "ipconfig"
  2. Copy the default gateway and paste it into the address bar
You should be able to increase the power for the router there. And you can also increase the channel. Power saving mode reduce the speed DRASTICLY, and most router have it default on, so turn the power saving mode off(it increase my download and upload speed by 20%).

For most router the default login is
Username: root
Password: admin

Or if there is only a password box then just type admin or your wifi password.

Solution