Question Wifi slows down to under 1mbps download speed after reboot or wake

Jul 27, 2023
Hi all,
I have an older HP Pavilion Touchsmart 15 laptop and I bought a new wifi card for it. It's a fenvi MPE-AXE3000H mini pci-e with the intel ax210 chipset. I've tried different driver versions with it and they all have the same problem. After installation, it works as expected. However, as soon as I reboot or sleep and wake the computer, download speeds test at less than 1mbps, when they were around 400 before. It is still connected to the network at the same rate (866mbps), and it transfers files from my network attached storage at normal speed (about 240mbps/30MBps- it's an old NAS). It's just internet that is slow. Uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter in device manager brings it back to normal speed, but the next time I reboot/sleep it will malfunction again. I also tried an Edup brand version of the same type of mini pci-e ax210 wifi adapter and had the same problem.
Any idea what's causing this?
full PC specs:
Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.3208
HP 216B Motherboard
HP Pavilion Touchsmart 15-n013dx
AMD A8-5545M CPU
AMD A76M Chipset
AMD Radeon HD 8510G GPU
6GB DDR3
500GB Crucial SATA SSD

Thanks

Solution
Very strange because the data is still going from your pc to the router and then either out to the internet or the NAS.
The only difference from the router viewpoint is does it send it to your NAS via a lan port or does it send it to the wan port.

This is a pretty simple thing and should not be affected by if your machine was just rebooted or if it was reconnecting after you did a device reinstall. The router can't really can't tell the difference between the 2 connections.

What happens if instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the nic you just turn the wifi off. Most laptops have a option that will turn the wifi radios off. Many have a physical button. You could I guess try to reboot the router but I doubt it is really the...
Very strange but I don't think it is the wifi adapter. Since the access to the NAS is the same that means the hardware is fine.
The basic stuff like the wifi channels and even the IP addresses are all the same so it must be ok.

There must be some difference between the way you access the local nas and the internet. For example are you using a web browser to do both.

I have not heard of anything that will do this but I would suspect some third party software but I guess it could be some setting in windows.

Jul 27, 2023
Just tried downloading a file through my NAS web UI in firefox and it came in at the usual 30MBps. Anything outside my local network that I've tried is slow though.

Very strange because the data is still going from your pc to the router and then either out to the internet or the NAS.
The only difference from the router viewpoint is does it send it to your NAS via a lan port or does it send it to the wan port.

This is a pretty simple thing and should not be affected by if your machine was just rebooted or if it was reconnecting after you did a device reinstall. The router can't really can't tell the difference between the 2 connections.

What happens if instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the nic you just turn the wifi off. Most laptops have a option that will turn the wifi radios off. Many have a physical button. You could I guess try to reboot the router but I doubt it is really the router itself even if it would clear it.

I would look for software that limits traffic. Maybe disable the firewall or virus protection temporarily. I would also look for any kind of so called "gamer" qos software that talks about favoring one type of traffic over another. It would be strange that this software did not also affect you after you did the device reinstall.

Solution