[SOLVED] Wifi specifically on laptop occasionally works then doesn't

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
This is a laptop specific problem, as any other devices connected to the wifi works just fine.

However, when connected to the wifi via laptop, it will work then randomly stop working. As I pull up the network list, none of the networks will show up as it was somehow momentarily disabled. I would then have to re-open the networks list several times until the networks pop back up to select my wifi, and it will keep working momentarily then stop working again.

I am really unsure what to do, I had this laptop for 4 years and it only started occurring last year.
This laptop is a 2016 Asus Rog the model with the 970m GPU

Solution
Thanks I remember last year I did something in command prompt and typed in something like a IP reset, or network reset. I forgot the code, but it was something along the lines of "Netsh id rest" Or "Ipconfig reset". I forgot the entire line of code on how to do it, but I was looking for that possible solution as well.

I did try a network reset through settings, but the problem still persisted.

I can confirm that this is a issue regarding the PC, since any other device will work fine with the internet.

Maybe this can help narrow the diagnosis down.
Have you tried a portable Linux OS on a USB drive? That can help eliminate your Windows install. Now, there is no way to tell hardware vs software.

kanewolf

Titan
This is a laptop specific problem, as any other devices connected to the wifi works just fine.

However, when connected to the wifi via laptop, it will work then randomly stop working. As I pull up the network list, none of the networks will show up as it was somehow momentarily disabled. I would then have to re-open the networks list several times until the networks pop back up to select my wifi, and it will keep working momentarily then stop working again.

I am really unsure what to do, I had this laptop for 4 years and it only started occurring last year.
This laptop is a 2016 Asus Rog the model with the 970m GPU
My guess is you have an issue with the WIFI antenna. It runs through the hinges of the lid. It can become damaged.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
The wifi antenna inside my laptop? I am looking for solutions for a fix
try monitoring your network adapters in network control panel . if they continue to connect and disconnect , it's either a 2.4 ghz interference , try connecting with 5g . or a software issue with your adapter , try deleting the adapter and restart . or a windows issue , try updating or insiders preview ... or something similar . my own experience

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, the antenna in your laptop. If that is actually the problem, then replacement would be the fix.
We can't provide a solution until the root cause has been identified.

Thanks I remember last year I did something in command prompt and typed in something like a IP reset, or network reset. I forgot the code, but it was something along the lines of "Netsh id rest" Or "Ipconfig reset". I forgot the entire line of code on how to do it, but I was looking for that possible solution as well.

I can confirm that this is a issue regarding the PC, since any other device will work fine with the internet.

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, the antenna in your laptop. If that is actually the problem, then replacement would be the fix.
We can't provide a solution until the root cause has been identified.

Not too sure what the component inside the PC is called specifically "Wifi Adapter"??
Maybe it is the case that it's damaged somehow either physically or something to do with software. If that's the case maybe a quick fix might be to buy another wifi adapter that works via usb? I have also seen types that plug into a outlet and also have an ethernet port.

But just saving those options as a last resort.

kanewolf

Titan

Have you tried a portable Linux OS on a USB drive? That can help eliminate your Windows install. Now, there is no way to tell hardware vs software.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS