Question WiFi speed has dropped by 50% all of a sudden ?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I have a 100mbps connection with an average speed that is normally like 85mbps but up to 120mbps sometimes when downloading from Steam etc... but all of a sudden it's dropped to average like 45mbps for the last few days ?

I've checked the main Home WIFI Router (ASUS RT-AC68U) which it taps into and that is working just fine at normal speeds?
Nothing has changed in my setup.
VPN off.

I noticed the Properties showed it listed as being set to only 802.11 a/b/g for some reason?
So I tried setting it to AX as it should be but that didn't seem to make any difference?
LPvKf0u.png (586×683) (imgur.com)

Why is this still showing as 802.11n even after changing it back to 802.11ax?

The Home WiFi from the Router downstairs is 802.11ac
(that is an ASUS RT-AC68U - and works at normal speeds?

Here are the details after changing that...

HZdRyI4.png (1963×645) (imgur.com)

I have unscrewed the two cables for the Wireless Antenna Dongle thingy and re-screwed them back in - no change.

See sig for specs, Win 11 Pro 64 bit, all up to date etc.

Built in WiFI on a Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Pro DDR4, BIOS F6, see the Tech Specs here.

I'm not used to having built-in WiFi so less sure how to check/fix things?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
You missed the most important part and it is lucky you did not cut the screenshot too much.

You are connecting on the 2.4g radio band. You were likely connecting on the 5g radio band before. The radio channel width used on 2.4g is many times 1/2 what is used on 5g. In your case you can tell from the connect speed numbers that you are only using 20mhz channels and have not good signal levels.

You can't run AX mode your router does not support it. In addition it is more or less just a "name" thing. All the 802.11n data encodings are fulling in 802.11ac. So if you are using simpler data encodings you can call it either "n" or "ac". There are some data encodings that are only used by ac so maybe the pc nic driver displays those as AC and everything else as N.

In any case 802.11ac is the same as 802.11n on the 2.4g band ignoring support for data encodings that are not actually part of the standard that many devices do not support.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran