Wifi speed slow?

rustonmoss

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
Okay so im a gamer and we have the best wifi available to us, my friend also has the same plan and lives close too me.. at his house i get about a 5mbps download speed, but at my house i only get about 50-250 Kbps... anybody know why our router is 802.11n so its not the router, or our wifi at this point idk what is wrong

Solution
Ensure that you are connected to the router using a 5ghz N connection, it will be waaaaay less crowded since you have far more bands unlike with 2.4ghz that only really has 3, but be aware that even if your card says its 802.11N doesn't mean that you have 5GHZ, some are not dual band and you will be on the same 2.4ghz band as most devices.

I would also suggest downloading a wifi analyzer app on your phone/mobile device, that way you can see just whats going on with your wifi strength, interference, etc.

Then I would try and move your computer into the same room as the router and make sure the other devices aren't on or active and test to see whether or not it is an issue with your computers hardware/software.

As I said 5mbps down is...

rustonmoss

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

okay... so how do i fix that? because my friend and I have basically the same wifi setup and he still gets super fast wifi and i dont and we have about the same amount of devices

Ensure that you are connected to the router using a 5ghz N connection, it will be waaaaay less crowded since you have far more bands unlike with 2.4ghz that only really has 3, but be aware that even if your card says its 802.11N doesn't mean that you have 5GHZ, some are not dual band and you will be on the same 2.4ghz band as most devices.

I would also suggest downloading a wifi analyzer app on your phone/mobile device, that way you can see just whats going on with your wifi strength, interference, etc.

Then I would try and move your computer into the same room as the router and make sure the other devices aren't on or active and test to see whether or not it is an issue with your computers hardware/software.

As I said 5mbps down is not alot of bandwidth and will be easily used up with streaming HD content on other devices.

Solution