wifi speeds 2.4ghz vs 5.0 ghz

Adam_248

Prominent
May 31, 2017
I have the 200 mbps plan through spectrum. usually on my computer I'm using Ethernet where I get about 220 mbps, and on my phone I get about the same with the 5ghz network. I'm moving my computer to where I wont be able to run ethernet, so I bought a pcie wireless card. Plugged it in ran a speed test and got 65 mbps. Confused I switched networks to the 2.4ghz on my phone and ran the test again and got about 70mbps. So my question in general is whats going on? Is the 2.4 network just that much slower, do I have something setup wrong on my router. Ill be moving and getting a new router, but if 2.4 is just that slow Ill have to look into that. Router is a asus RT-ac3100, pcie wifi card is a PCI Express Wireless N Adapter - 300 Mbps PCIe 802.11 b/g/n Network Adapter Card – 2T2R 2.2 dBi, and phone is a Iphone X

Adam_248

Prominent
May 31, 2017
I'm currently on the second floor of my house whereas the router is on the first. When I move my computer it will be in an apartment, and the router will just be two rooms down.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
2.4GHz wifi has a lower max speed for N or AC. Most of the time the cest routers only give you 800mb/s max on the 2.4GHz band and that's a theoretical number. It's more like half that and then based on distance and walls. So yes, in general 2.4 band is slower than the 5GHz band.

Dooop805

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016
5ghz if your in range. Try using Wifi Alalyzer or some other wifi monitor and find out what channel will have the least amount of traffic and set your router channel accordingly.. 2.4 has a lot of noise like your microwave, cellphone etc. 5ghs should provide more throughput as well if you don't have a bunch of walls to go through.

Adam_248

Prominent
May 31, 2017
Did a speed test days later, same results. Since I'm just going to skip over all of this 2.4ghz can I get a recommendation on a good 5ghz router for an apartment and a pcie card for my computer. The next thing is can I repeat the network from my computer through ethernet? I have a TCL 49" 4k TV, but I'm not sure if it will take the 5ghz connection.

Adam_248

Prominent
May 31, 2017
The apartment it's going to be in is only one floor. I'm testing it now in my house, which is where the router and computer are on separate floors. Sorry for the confusion. As for powerlines, it would be nice but I barely trust them to carry power let alone data.

kanewolf

Titan

Powerline networking is a very mature and useful technology. In an apartment environment with MANY competing WIFI sources it has a high probability of providing a more consistent network than wireless. All data is encrypted, so you shouldn't worry about a neighbor "seeing" your data.

kanewolf

Titan

Powerline network hardware has matured since it was first introduced. I only recommend the latest AV2 standard hardware. But some home electrical wiring does have issues. Some performance problems people have are self induced. They have small electronics like phone chargers or other transformers that put noise on the electrical system that interferes with the networking equipment.
WIFI in an apartment situation has similar challenges. Too many WIFI signals interfering with each other.
There is no "magic" answer. You have to try different options.

kanewolf

Titan

Not usually. But DO plug directly into the wall outlet. Not into a power strip. Power strips often have noise filtering hardware the impedes powerline networking.

TRENDING THREADS