Wifi Speeds dropping significantly 20 minutes after new router install

winterwolfes

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
I was having wifi speed problems with my laptop on my 2nd floor with the router downstairs. Speeds were only around 6Mbps and I was constantly losing the internet connection thought I stayed connected to the router. So today I bough an Orbi router and satellite. I got it up and running, did the firmware update and we were off. I connected my work laptop and all of a sudden my connection speed went from 6Mbps to 68Mbps and it said the signal strength was Excellent! It was awesome. 30 minutes later it dropped right back down to 6Mbps and has pretty much stayed there. Sometimes it jumps up to 13Mbps but then just goes right back down. It says the signal strength now is only Good. Any ideas on what could cause a drop from 68 and Excellent to 6 and Good? This was hugely disappointing and puts me right back where I was only 350 dollars poorer.

winterwolfes

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
I'll check the channels now. I just disconnected from my network and reconnected and the speed shot back up to 60. The signal strength is at 100% now since I reconnected. I'll wait 30 minutes again and see what happens.