Wifi standards, speeds vs download speeds, ...

kaja.alyo

Prominent
Feb 15, 2018
Hello,
I managed to get really behind the times in the computer world, last time I was into it wifi had 802.11g standard and download speeds weren`t high enough to be limited by router or receiver...

My question is what standards have what speeds and what is the maximum download speed can I get with them.
For example:
g = 54mbps =download around 20-30mbps?
n= ? = ?

And about "dual band", if I understand it, when router and client are connected with dual band they use 20mhz and 40mhz band, does this give you double the speed? must client wifi card support this?

My ISP provider provides me with 70mbpsDL and 5mbpsUP, I have Technicolor 7200U modem&router (I know it`s *****, I figured this out already).

I know that my router will go up to at least 144mbps (300mbps max due to specifications) and that I can get 70mbps download speed (tested with Samsung S7), but on my laptop I can get only 72.2mbps wifi speed and 30-40mbps download speed.
It have Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11n wifi card. I can`t find out it`s specifications about max speed , but it won`t go over 72.2mbps, I installed latest drivers.

Does this mean that I shoud upgrade my wifi card or is there anything else acting up?

Now about n vs ac...
If I have 70mbps download and 144mbps @n is enough for it, will I have faster, smoother experience if I use ac connection?
If so what cheap router that supports g, n and ac do you know is good?
Or if I will have no benefit on ac, what g and n router?

I had D-links, TP-Links, Belkins and some others, and all these were ****, only linksys is something that I`m comfortable to buy, but linksys is really expensive, wrt54gl is the king for me, but it`s only g... So please share you experience with routers

And also what wifi card would you recommend for laptop?

Thank you for reading my long post and for your help :)

Ralston18

Titan
Way too much to cover - even if I could type it all.

Start with the following link:

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/types-of-wireless-network-explained-with-standards.html

or

https://www.lifewire.com/introduction-to-wi-fi-wireless-networking-818265

Then do targeted google searches for more information about topics and concepts that need further explanation from your perspective.

As for product recommendations look for independent reviews - there are such reviews within this Forum. Also visit the manufacturer's websites. Read the User Guides/Manual, check the manufacturer's FAQs and Forums.

Many factors to take into consideration - but once you "catch up" I suspect you will have answered many of your questions in the process.

TRENDING THREADS