WIFI Stops Working Daily

Slackjaw2014

Reputable
May 5, 2014
For the past month or so, I've noticed that when using my home WiFi on my phone, I will lose internet access a few times per day.

Next to the signal strength bar, I get an exclamation point indicating that I am still connected to the router, but there is no internet available.

Ruling other other issues: During these periods my Ethernet devices still work, I am within reach of a decent signal strength, and while I do have many people who live with me it still occurs when few are home and many of the devices we use are not connected. Also, the router is updated to the latest firmware and does not auto-update.

What could the problem be? What else can I do to diagnose the issue?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
you could be to many on the wi-fi for this router and it cut since it could not handle all those connections could you try to use lan cable to see if this happens .
My go to answer is RF interference. There are a few things that can cause issues with wi-fi signals. The main one I've seen is people nearby using an older microwave. MY parent's microwave knocks their wi-fi out every time they use it. Another fun one I've seen is neon lights. I met a guy who used to do karaoke at a chinese food place, and his wi-fi hotspot would always work before they opened, but once they did it'd just cut out. Sure enough, once the neon open sign was clicked on all wi-fi in the building was disrupted.

So, there are a couple things you can do. One is to try and isolate the issue and minimize how and when it happens... or at least let you know when it is going to happen. Second would be switching bands on your wi-fi devices. Some support the 5GHz band, which has a much shorter range, but should be immune to the current signals that are messing with it. You could also try getting some directional antennas if you are going to be in the same place all the time. That will help you get an aimed signal that will help keep the interfering signals at bay. Finally, and least appealing, is you can just run an Ethernet cable if what you are doing is critical.

Hope that helps!