[SOLVED] WIFI Strange connection drop only when opening games...

2fgcrew

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Hi,

So I installed a Nest Router, hooked up to my virgin media modem, with 2 additional older generation google wifi units in different rooms using the google home app. One of which, is connected to the nest router via a long ethernet cable, the other is just using wifi mesh. My coverage is great and speeds throughout the house are strong.

However I've ran into an issue. If connected to the google wifi unit (the one using wifi mesh), whenever I open an online game such as Battlefield 5 or World of Tanks the connection changes to 'no internet access' and so I can't login and play. I've also had this issue when trying to open Fusion 360. After exiting the game the connection goes back to normal. I don't get this issue while using chrome.
Connecting to either of the other two devices works fine. I've factory reset the troubled wifi point as well as replaced it with a spare google wifi point I own, neither worked.

I've spoken to both google support and windows support. Neither were able to assist as they just asked me to try the simple things in windows which I had already tried and they didnt work. This morning I did a clean windows install using a USB drive and the issue persists.

I feel like I've tried everything with no success, please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience or might know how to resolve the issue.

Many thanks,

Joel

Solution
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The setting you recommend turning off is something I always have turned off anyway due to other issues it casues.

I have however found a solution. I've found that connecting my laptop via ethernet to the google wifi unit my laptop normally connects to works. No more internet issues. This of course is an issue if you're a long distance from the unit your device normally connects to via wifi, however I'm lucky enough that both device and unit are on the same desk.

I hope this proves helpful to anyone else experiencing this strange issue. Not even Google was able to assist after LONG troubleshooting conversations.

Cheers,

Joel
Jun 18, 2020
Hey,

the only advice I can offer revolves around a similar issue I had. I am using a Laptop, where generally, my internet used to drop out in some games, or after extended use.

I found that due to power settings for network adapters within the device manager, the PC will sometimes "turn off this device to save power" even when on mains power. Within the relevant adapters, in the power management tab, unchecking the option has since removed the problem.

device-manager-wireless-network-adapter-power-management-windows-10.png

(image sourced https://www.slashdigit.com/stop-hotspot-from-turning-off-automatically-windows/)

the problem may be entirely unrelated to power management though, and I have only minor experience solving said problems.

Hopefully, this has helped at least a bit

Al

2fgcrew

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The setting you recommend turning off is something I always have turned off anyway due to other issues it casues.

I have however found a solution. I've found that connecting my laptop via ethernet to the google wifi unit my laptop normally connects to works. No more internet issues. This of course is an issue if you're a long distance from the unit your device normally connects to via wifi, however I'm lucky enough that both device and unit are on the same desk.

I hope this proves helpful to anyone else experiencing this strange issue. Not even Google was able to assist after LONG troubleshooting conversations.

Cheers,

Joel

Solution