[SOLVED] Wifi thru wall?

Dec 8, 2021
Okay so my mom lives in an old folks high rise with free Wi-Fi. I was going to get her a fire stick for Christmas so she can watch streaming networks. The Wi-Fi router is in her hallway, in the hallway you get good signal, in her apartment not so much. The router is on the ceiling so I cannot connect an Ethernet cord to use Dlan. Can you use Dlan without wiring into the router ? There is an outlet in the hallway I could plug into. Or is there a way to wire a repeater to get the signal into her apartment?

Solution
There is no way to know if you can even use a repeater. Many times the feature you need called WDS is disabled especially in commercial equipment. Repeaters cause interfering signals that will impact other users also.

How far is ceiling mounted device from the door. If the door is metal it might even block a repeater directly mounted to the door.

Maybe a long USB cable would allow better placement of the firestick. If the signal is bad everywhere in the apartment it is going to be hard to fix.

Many high rise building have lots of concreate walls and other stuff to prevent fire spread. This also does a great job of blocking wifi signals.

In many cases the only solution is some kind of wire that runs through the wall but when...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could get her a repeater/range extender alongside the stick to help extend the signal from the hallway to your mum's room. Where are you located, what is your budget and what is your preferred site for purchase? It'd help if you could find out the make and model of the AP in the hallway(from the people at the senior home) so you know your range extender isn't going to be a moot investment.

kanewolf

Titan
Okay so my mom lives in an old folks high rise with free Wi-Fi. I was going to get her a fire stick for Christmas so she can watch streaming networks. The Wi-Fi router is in her hallway, in the hallway you get good signal, in her apartment not so much. The router is on the ceiling so I cannot connect an Ethernet cord to use Dlan. Can you use Dlan without wiring into the router ? There is an outlet in the hallway I could plug into. Or is there a way to wire a repeater to get the signal into her apartment?
This is a shared building that your mother does not own. You can't randomly put something in the halllway and expect it to be undisturbed.
"Not so much" of a WIFI signal might be OK, or you might want to choose a Roku or other device that you can position for best signal. A firestick is hidden behind the TV where a Roku isn't.

Dec 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could get her a repeater/range extender alongside the stick to help extend the signal from the hallway to your mum's room. Where are you located, what is your budget and what is your preferred site for purchase? It'd help if you could find out the make and model of the AP in the hallway(from the people at the senior home) so you know your range extender isn't going to be a moot investment.
Thank you for your reply! I'll find out the make and model of the AP, we are in Pennsylvania, USA, I'm flexible on the budget and I don't really care what site to purchase from..I'm pretty confident if I plug something in the hallway it'll go undisturbed, these are old folks that respect others things, each resident has a plug to decorate their door.

There is no way to know if you can even use a repeater. Many times the feature you need called WDS is disabled especially in commercial equipment. Repeaters cause interfering signals that will impact other users also.

How far is ceiling mounted device from the door. If the door is metal it might even block a repeater directly mounted to the door.

Maybe a long USB cable would allow better placement of the firestick. If the signal is bad everywhere in the apartment it is going to be hard to fix.

Many high rise building have lots of concreate walls and other stuff to prevent fire spread. This also does a great job of blocking wifi signals.

In many cases the only solution is some kind of wire that runs through the wall but when you don't control the building it is not like a solution. Maybe contact the building and see what they would charge to extend a ethernet cable into the apartment.

Solution