Wifi to a desktop?

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hello, I'm buying my first desktop this month and all the ones i've been looking at don't have wifi. How can I get wifi to my computer, the router will be in the room down the hall from me. I've been looking at 'powerline' adapters but to be honest I have no idea what is the best for me. Can anyone please help me?

www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-500Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B009W1Q66K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1118WZ025LT77&coliid=I2GLLWC1IHWE9A - Powerline I've been looking at

Solution

All else being equal, that should work.

USAFRet

Titan

There are many WiFi options for a desktop, either PCI-E or USB.
Search around at Amazon for 'PCI-E wifi'

G

That powerline wouldn't bring wifi to your computer unless you had a a wifi card for it. That powerline basically moves wifi into a location that has no wifi, etc. The one ethernet port is to connect your router to the adapter, and the other adapter is put into an outlet to produce wifi in that area.
If you want a stronger wifi signal in your room (if it ends up being weak), go ahead and buy those adapters.

For wifi, what you'll need is a USB wifi adapter. I'm currently using one for my desktop (that I built and had no wifi) as my router was in the other room. If you want an idea of what a USB wifi adapter looks like/is, here is mine:
http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU625/

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

Can you download big things without it slowing down? For example games. And will it be ok for playing big online games?

USAFRet

Titan

It's impossible to predict. Every house is different.
Construction, what is in between, vertical orientation, interference from neighbors, etc, etc. All that can impact a WiFi connection.
It may be great, it may suck. No way to tell until you try.

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

What do you think will be the cheapest and most reliable route? Usb or pci? I've been doing a lot of research because i'm on a very tight budge and only have a max of £20 to spend although it would be nicer to find something under that.

USAFRet

Titan

A USB has the advantage of being moved around. Sometimes even just 18" one way or the other gets past a dead spot.
A PCI-E card has the advantage of probably more power. And multiple antennas.

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

I found this on amazon, it's only £15. Can you tell me if its good? www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN822N-300MBPS-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B00416Q5KI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1118WZ025LT77&coliid=I2FKVCDIZF4ZH0

USAFRet

Titan

All else being equal, that should work.

Solution

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

I'll be getting that one then! Thanks for the help mate c:

TheColaKid

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
ive got an old granite house so wifi is a nightmare for me so i thought id try a powerline adaptor and ive got to say im actually really happy with the purchase. its extended my network to places i couldnt get it otherwise and its been very handy for my xbmc box. as far as extending the wifi i have no idea if this would even work but if you got a cheap wifi router and used it to extend the network via powerline it might work. but its no guarentee of course. i turned an old linksys adsl/wifi router into a network hub easily but havnt tried it connected to a powerline adaptor as if it was a standard pc but i cant see a problem in it working if dhcp is setup it should be fine and allow extension of wifi via the powerline. but as USAFRet said its impossible to know how it will work with interal wiring. one thing i do know is dont bother getting the 500mb adaptors they dont carry the bandwidth they claim to just go for the 100-200 ones

FlusherBox

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

Thanks for telling me about the 500mb adaptors I'll save £5 by getting the 200mb one instead!