wifi usage limit for customers

Feb 25, 2018
Hi, i have Aztech:700WR-3G telkom router in one of my shops i want to give customers access to limited wifi what should i do??

Solution
I am not familiar with that router and am too lazy to read the manual.

It depends what you mean as "limited". If you just want to allow them internet access but protect your local network the router may have a guest user function. If you goal is to actually limit what they can access or limit how much data they can transfer that is much harder. Some routers have firewall abilities but the cpu and memory on routers is small so you are limited by how much you can do. The systems you see something like a hotel use have external serves to provide this function they do not just use a router.
I am not familiar with that router and am too lazy to read the manual.

It depends what you mean as "limited". If you just want to allow them internet access but protect your local network the router may have a guest user function. If you goal is to actually limit what they can access or limit how much data they can transfer that is much harder. Some routers have firewall abilities but the cpu and memory on routers is small so you are limited by how much you can do. The systems you see something like a hotel use have external serves to provide this function they do not just use a router.

Solution
Lets say you were going to do this manually. You would have to find a way to identify a customer and then every day they come in write down how much they used and see when they get near their limit.

A router is a pretty simplistic computer that does not have a lot of memory/cpu and has no place really to store long term data.

Although there is third party firmware that can do some of this most advanced function like you are talking about are done with a actual computer. Some of the free linux based router/firewall can be loaded on a small computer an do what you want. Loading and configuring this is not really hard but it takes some time to learn all that stuff. There are expensive appliance firewall type devices that are easy to use but they tend to be expensive.